XT6 tear down - activity and guidance

Forum for Subaru XT and/or XT6 owners

Moderators: Hocrest, Myxalplyx, Huck369, Moodybluesr, grossgary, john in KY, SUBBYRU89, austinXT6

XT6 tear down - activity and guidance

Postby Giggs on Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:24 pm

So the answer (to one of my questions raised in the meet and greet section) must be that you have to remove the bumper in order to get the outside tail lights out because that's what I did. I couldn't see how to do it any other way. But that glue around the back of the lenses to seal them up against the bodu is pretty sticky stuff. And careful prying. I dudn't break one but could pretty easily if you don't take your time. Now, 4 other areas I could use some guidance on and then I'm done and ready for paint.
1. What about those headlight washers nozzles - same thing? Will I have to pull the whole front bumper off to take them out? Any advice on replacing the one I broke?
2. Cowl cover at base of windshield. The wiper arm was fastened to a large (3" x 3") metal plate that has to come off before I can remove that plastic cover. Taking the bolt off doesn't seem sufficient to remove it. Trying to pry it has proven problematic because it sits above the plastic cover which is on top of the glass. Anybody removed this piece before?
3. The Subaru emblem on the trunk. How is it fastened? There's no access to it from under the trunk lid. I suspect it's not glued on because it's too thin. Is the Pleiades symbol riveted to the metal?
4. The front plastic emblem. I don't anticipate any problem removing this but it looks tired and old. Are there any aftermarket replacements out there?
Giggs

Re: XT6 tear down - activity and guidance

Postby john in KY on Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:56 pm

That 3x3 inch metal thing is I believe the wiper transmission. You really don't want to remove it because more times than not, in the removal process the "main shaft" breaks. Finding another transmission not broken is neither easy or cheap. But if you insist, there are 3 screws and one nut. The nut is obvious. As for the 3 screws, the transmission has to be turned certain ways to gain access through that "hole". Separating the transmission from its splined shaft requires hitting the shaft with a hammer to free it or some some sort of puller could be used. This is the point were the shaft breaks and now you are without a wiper. Use an impact screwdriver to loosen the screws. Heads are easily stripped if you don't.
john in KY

Postby Giggs on Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:07 pm

Thank you. I did accidentally see it rotate when I was loosening the centre nut and saw one phillips head through a little hole. I moved it back thnking it wasn't good to have it out of position so I think I know what you're referring to. I just can't see having pulled literally everything off the body now for paint and leaving that faded old cowl cover sitting there. I'll have to give this some further thought. Again, much obliged.
Giggs

Postby grossgary on Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:21 am

or source a used transmission first so you know you got one.

it's a good idea to regrease those wiper transmissions anyway - they're terribly devoid of grease by now and bone dry inside all the ones i've taken apart. they're light load and low speed so it's likely not a huge deal though.
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby Giggs on Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:31 am

Good advice. Thanks. And btw I pulled those emblems off the front and back. Just the usual black adhesive with two mounting prongs inserted through the sheet metal - not fastened. I was surprised the front emblem was a steel plate with rubber badge on top and the back was plastic. I thought the front was just rubber and the back looked like metal. Anyway, the rubber was real faded to a grey dirty old and nasty look. After a quick wipe down I could see there was years of build up and many small and large scratches in the rubber (or whatever it is). Although I'm not yet in the refinishing stage for the parts that have to go back on, I was curious about the need to replace this badge so I thought I'd try to bring back. I didn't want to use a harsh cleaner so I took a medium-soft scrub brush and applied a continuously high application of the amazing Whip-it (plant based cleaner) - sprayed and scrubbed and sprayed and scrubbed with repeated fast , firm and rapid strokes. It actually cleaned up really nicely. I had no idea it was a black background with a variety of tiny dot stars in the back of the constellation. I could barely see the logo on the car before. Most of the large scratches are gone and now replaced by more smaller microscopic (well maybe not that small) or little scratches fromt eh brushing but only visible on close inspection. I finished it with some last step finishing polish and it really looks good.
Giggs

Postby Giggs on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:33 am

So, like I said earlier the motor is running pretty good (although the whole engine compartment is in need of some serious pampering. However, I do have a question or twe about how it warms up but that later. I have reason to be concerned about the power steering and I am hopeful a kind member might be able to tell me it's not a big deal and I just need to change the fluid because the car sat for so many years. Here's the thing... I can't drive it yet (not plated) but I move the car in and out and over in the garage when I want to work on it. Whenever I turn the wheel far (pretty sure it happens both to the right and the left) I here a fast and repetitive clicking (maybe 3-4 clicks a second). Any opinions/advice here?
Giggs

Postby Giggs on Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:52 pm

I'm having trouble with the fit of the rad drain plug. It's hard to turn at all levels or depths of insertion or retraction. Then, it's been leaking there too since I drained and flushed the system. So I picked up a new
o-ring for the plug hoping that might stop the draining but that aside, I pretty much need a pair of plyers for nearly evety turn. It doesn't feel like the thread is stripped. Just hard, stiff and not smooth. It's crying out for some kind of lubricant but I'm apprehensive. Would silicone on the threads be a good idea or would I run into other problems that might include the drain plug unscrewing on its own?
Giggs

Postby grossgary on Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:17 am

i'd be very hesitant to tigthen it like that - they're hard to find used and were never made for aftermarket so that's not an option.
if it's that tight, that's not normal and maybe something is wrong - check the threads.
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby Giggs on Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:57 am

Thanks Gary
Giggs

Postby Huck369 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:33 am

Generally on these old radiators, I don't use the drain plug, just take the lower Radiator hose lose to drain it, less chance of damaging the radiator.
Huck
Subaru Ambassador
88 XT6 5-Speed(Project Car)
08 Impreza 2.5I 5-Speed
92 SVX LS-Tour (Yellow AWD 5-Speed)
09 Forester X Premium
The Creator of FrankenWedge
Huck369

Postby Giggs on Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:40 am

Now there's a thought
Giggs

Postby Giggs on Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:37 pm

So,I'm on Rock Auto looking for breaks because no other aftermarket retailer has a full set. A lot of the descriptions don't say for XT or XT6 or FWD or AWD (although some do) but instead read "Engine VIN 8" Autozone and Carquest didn't ask me that question. I thought that might be in reference to a number in my VIN but it reads "Engine VIN". I suppose I should know if I have Engine VIN 8. I'm sure many are reading this thinking "Neewbie" Anyway, can you tell me if my '89 XT^ (FWD) is "Engine VIN 8 or where to look to make that determination. Giggs
Giggs

Postby john in KY on Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:36 pm

Almost certain the rear pads are the same. XT/XT6/turbo wagon...all the same. Not sure about the front pads but my guess is XT6 specific. Just had another thought. Thinking the XT6 and the 1st gen Legacy shared the front pads.
john in KY

Postby Giggs on Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:07 am

I've concluded "Engine VIN 8" refers to the number in the 6th position of the VIN, being the position where the engine number is recorded. In my case, my VIN shows a number eight in the 6th (engine ) position.
Giggs

Postby Giggs on Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:10 am

...and thanks John on the pads. I think I'm coming to the conlcusion that the rear shocks and rear brakes on the XT and XT6 (FWD's) are the same.
Giggs

Next

Return to Subaru XT discussions