does this mean the carb is bad?

Try to keep it somewhat clean and reasonably PC

Moderators: Hocrest, Myxalplyx, Huck369, Moodybluesr, grossgary, john in KY, SUBBYRU89, austinXT6

does this mean the carb is bad?

Postby grossgary on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:38 am

snowblower wouldn't start. i know little about carbs, so talk 3rd grade-ish to me. LOL

carb bowl is filling with gas.

cleaned the carb and now it will start and run if i keep spraying starter fluid into the intake.
but if i don't - nothing at all happens - never tries to start at all.

does that mean the carb is bad?

what do i look for/do?
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Re: does this mean the carb is bad?

Postby Huck369 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:19 am

Unscrew the jets out of the carb (remove the bowl, and float, and there should be 2 brass fittings that unscrew ) make sure they are both clear (should be able to see light thru them) the pilot jet is a REALLY small hole, but you can see light thru it if it's clear
Huck
Subaru Ambassador
88 XT6 5-Speed(Project Car)
08 Impreza 2.5I 5-Speed
92 SVX LS-Tour (Yellow AWD 5-Speed)
09 Forester X Premium
The Creator of FrankenWedge
Huck369

Postby grossgary on Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:23 am

will do. i unscrewed the bowl and cleaned it and float but didn't disassemble anything and look.

assuming they're gummed up, just soak them in carb cleaner or something else a day or two?
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby Huck369 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:19 am

grossgary wrote:will do. i unscrewed the bowl and cleaned it and float but didn't disassemble anything and look.

assuming they're gummed up, just soak them in carb cleaner or something else a day or two?

You can try running a tiny strand of wire thru them...but may be difficult to find wire small enough for the pilot one...but yes soaking them in carb cleaner, anad then compresses air to blow them out (wear eye protection!)
Huck
Subaru Ambassador
08 Impreza 2.5I 5-Speed
09 Forester X Premium
Huck369

Postby Fury WRXT on Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:21 pm

Huck369 wrote:
grossgary wrote:will do. i unscrewed the bowl and cleaned it and float but didn't disassemble anything and look.

You can try running a tiny strand of wire thru them...but may be difficult to find wire small enough for the pilot one...but yes soaking them in carb cleaner, anad then compresses air to blow them out (wear eye protection!)

You might try unstranding a multi strand wire and carefully straightening it by running it over a sharpish solid corner under pressure. Multi strand is generally soft, but with a bit of accuracy and a short grip, may be ok
Chris
WRXT EJ20T XT- with a mind of it's own

Gen 3 Outback Limited 2.5 wagon, sadly as a daily driver

Can someone please reset my original username... locked me out!
Fury WRXT

Postby grossgary on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:07 am

i've never looked that close at a carb before, so the holes are really tiny it sounds like. copy, good to know i'd probalby miss them for casting flash.
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby grossgary on Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:00 am

Thanks guys, got it running. Pulled the carb apart again yesterday and found some holes to clean!

The bolt that holds the bowl in place is hollow and has side holes on it close to the head of the bolt. Gas goes through the side holes - then up through the center of the bolt into through the carb and into a small red tube in the throttle body.

Does that bolt or small red tube have a name?

What is the "jet"?
Is the red nozzle in the throttle the jet?
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby Huck369 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:15 am

Never actually worked on a snowblower, was going with my experience with motorcycle carbs...sounds like the bolt may act as one of the jets?
Huck
Subaru Ambassador
08 Impreza 2.5I 5-Speed
09 Forester X Premium
Huck369

Postby Fury WRXT on Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:53 am

The 'jet" is the last point at which the fuel squirts out and mixes with the air, usually in a fan or dome shape. liken it to a squirt bottle, or a hose with a rotating pressure feed end. the smaller and tighter the end, the finer the spray, but too fine and it stops the flow. Basic carbies usually have a bolt, like a banjo bolt - which fuel flows through the center, but most still have a fine brass cone some with holes, some even showing a screwdriver end... that screws into the end of this bolt or tube.This is a pre-set size and will need cleaning ( which you can change on after market carbies)

The end will normally jut out into the air flow, in the barrel of the carbie, which then the air fuel mix flows into the plenium and manifold.

The fuel will leave the bowl, normally through a valve which the float controls (usually at the float hinge) it then passes through some small tunnels or tubes till it gets to the jet ( or jets as there is usually a couple at least in a vehicle carbie) there is usually an idle jet and a secondary for power, which is a larger diameter... about the size of a fine needle...lol

I have used fuse wire i the past, but sewing pins and hand sewing needles also work well, if the jets are removed.

If you dismantle, use a couple of sheets of white printing paper, to use as a base to work on, so you don't loose anything, of if a small item is dropped, it is easy to find.
Chris
WRXT EJ20T XT- with a mind of it's own

Gen 3 Outback Limited 2.5 wagon, sadly as a daily driver

Can someone please reset my original username... locked me out!
Fury WRXT

Postby grossgary on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:29 pm

makes sense, i'm not sure what the jet is. but if it's the part that fuels comes out of into the throttle body by the buttery fly plate then this is it. it sucks fuel up through that bolt that holds the carb bowl in place.

it's basically like a banjo bolt. but the side holes are really tiny, like basically the size of a paper clip which i used to clean it out.

anyway - cleaning the holes like y'all said worked like a champ. thanks.
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Return to Off Topic