WJM Tribute build.

Try to keep it somewhat clean and reasonably PC

Moderators: Hocrest, Myxalplyx, Huck369, Moodybluesr, grossgary, john in KY, SUBBYRU89, austinXT6

WJM Tribute build.

Postby rpholz on Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:29 pm

So I'm looking for a place to document my build. and since the USMB is a hostile place for the EA82T I will record it here.
If anyone opposes say "I" and i'll stop.

"Magic" is broken down to bare bones. however I have one wrist pin won't freaking come out :evil:
heads are sent off for 3-angle valve job/clean/inspection/etc.
scored a TD04 plus WRX intercooler and STI hoodscoop for 100 bucks. which I will be retreiving next week.

I suppose I'm off to a good start, however money is TIGHT so this build will take a while.
and I still need a car to put it in!

Link to facebook photo album https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 243&type=3
Last edited by rpholz on Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP WJM
rpholz
Veteran

Re: WJM Tribute build.

Postby subeman90 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:01 pm

rpholz wrote:and since the USMB is a hostile place for the EA82T I will record it here.

LOL :lol:

I prefer to think of it as "opinionated" about the ea82t. No one will argue that the ea82t is crap but when you say WJM the first thing that comes to my mind is ea82t.

Don't get me wrong this is cool and I hope you can make a go of it. I really loved my ea82t and my Merkur (both=crap). :lol:
Last edited by subeman90 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
13 Crosstrek :D 07 Corolla CE ;) 07 Trek 7100 (x2) :)
SubaruJawn wrote:i dont think cuz i got beat up alot in my school days.
subeman90
Guru

Postby rpholz on Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:31 pm

well ive got extensive data from Will and lots of hours just talking about it.

he made 165hp/225tq to the wheels off this block. im hoping to see a bit more as he "ran out of injector" and i plan on running Evo 8 injectors as its something he wanted to do/test.

this should be interesting and look forward to stomping WRXs

and if all goes well i'll bring it to the dragon. i'll just slap an XT badge on it, noone will suspect a thing lol.
RIP WJM
rpholz
Veteran

Postby Turbone on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:57 pm

I'm really glad you started this thread here. You all know what I went thru with my love/hate relationship with the EA82T in my RX :roll:
The key is, if you start with crap and keep it that way, you end with crap. Then when I got a rebuilt from CCR I was hoping for a good fresh start, but I ended up with a engine that had a slight rod knock. I could have raised hell and sent it back (like others have, but we wont go into that here) but I needed it up and running. After breaking it in I switched to syn oil and that seemed to help. After I put about 12k on it I started with the mods - TD04, TMIC, etc. I'll have to find my 2 different fyno run results, but I think I got close to 140awhp and 172tq.
If I had gotten a decent engine it would have been reliable and I cold have pushed it higher, in the end it lost compression in #4 and I called it quits with the EA82T.

Ah, found my last dyno run.
Hocrest wrote:You can dress up a turd and shoot it out of a canon.... It's still just a turd, going fast and wearing a suit... :P
Turbone
Guru

Postby rpholz on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:32 am

wow 12k w/ a rod knock? that's pretty impressive.

as i tore down this motor i was surprised to see almost no wear on the bearings. the cylinders kind of concern me as it looks like someone dropped something down the intake.

btw does anyone know where to find pistons for this engine?
RIP WJM
rpholz
Veteran

Postby grossgary on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:32 am

rpholz wrote:btw does anyone know where to find pistons for this engine?

pistons - just get some used turbo pistons?

or you want oversized? order from Subaru?

RAM performance sells pistons that will work with EA82, they have turbo and non-turbo varieties. oversized and i believe can even so some customizing if you want. i wouldn't expect those to be cheap though.

has there been a WJM thread on USMB - i haven't seen one? but you can't search for three letter acronyms so who knows?
Gary
Lifted 88 XT6 FT4WD MT
87.5 XT Turbo castrated FT4WD, 89 Manual XT6
02 OBW VDC H6
96 Legacy LSi castrated to EJ18 w/FWD conversion
grossgary

Postby rpholz on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:57 am

well wills block requires boring. unless i use my dl block which has zero play

i posted in the parts wanted section for used piston but havent gotten a reply

RAM sells pistons at 525 bucks a set.

and if you go under search username you can see the post from will as well as threads started.
RIP WJM
rpholz
Veteran

Postby rpholz on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:27 pm

Subaru can only get .25 and .5 oversize pistons that come with wrist pins and clips no rings at 53.80ea

called and left a message for CP pistons as they list the ej series at $280 i can't imagine that being each but we'll see.
RIP WJM
rpholz
Veteran

Postby Fury on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:09 pm

people build aircraft engines from these, so given the correct parts and serviced regularly, they are considered very reliable - even at expanded HP
Chris'88 WR XT AX7 Turbo 4WD, 5 speed,
Full EJ20T WRX Running gear,
Full 3" exhaust. Jap spec ECU, TMIC,
Gen III GT brakes + Eibach coilovers 5 lug swap & kit(http://www.crossbredperformance.com) with 17"STI rims... and other great stuff
Fury
Guru

Postby Turbone on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:30 pm

MrRadon (from here) had some pistons made from Wiseco for a XT6. They can probably change them some to make them turbo pistons.
You will have to go back a few years to find the thread, just look for his user name.

And when I said 12k, thats when I put the bigger turbo and TMIC on and turned up the boost (12lbs).
It lasted another 18k after that.
Hocrest wrote:You can dress up a turd and shoot it out of a canon.... It's still just a turd, going fast and wearing a suit... :P
Turbone
Guru

Postby rpholz on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:42 am

oh i miss read at first.

i'll be shooting for 15lbs for a base number.
RIP WJM
rpholz
Veteran

Postby rpholz on Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:41 am

latest update:heads are toast.

just got a call from the machine shop saying they are severly cracked.

&$($-@/;#+#7;#8+$*8-$-+2+#8#!!!!!!!!!!!!
and i owe em 77 bucks.
RIP WJM
rpholz
Veteran

Postby subeman90 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:37 am

there is a TSB about that. make sure the crack is bad enough to leak. The small crack that is between the valves is acceptable to SOA. make sure they are the "bad" cracks before trashing them.
Matt
13 Crosstrek :D 07 Corolla CE ;) 07 Trek 7100 (x2) :)
SubaruJawn wrote:i dont think cuz i got beat up alot in my school days.
subeman90
Guru

Postby grossgary on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:40 am

are they familiar with Subaru heads? these heads are a bit special in this regards and often shops call them "cracked heads" when really they are just fine.

if it's just the crack between the valve seats, those are normal and found on nearly every EA82 and ER27 head i have ever seen. no big deal.

those cracks can be repaired either with stitch pins or welding. back in the day when i did a lot of EA/ER work i used to repair them, now i don't bother but then again there aren't really any EA/ER vehicles around here any more.

on turbo engines they need to be pressure tested to make sure the cracks don't pass all the way through into the coolant/exhaust. if they are, then you'll want to replace them. technically this is possible on non-turbo heads too but it's rare and would have to be severely abused.
Gary
Lifted 88 XT6 FT4WD MT
87.5 XT Turbo castrated FT4WD, 89 Manual XT6
02 OBW VDC H6
96 Legacy LSi castrated to EJ18 w/FWD conversion
grossgary

Postby rpholz on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:45 am

i pointed out the betwren the valve cracks when i dropped them off and he said "oh that's common" but when he called me i didnt get in depth with it as i'm at work but i guess the cracks had found they're way up the intake port.

i do have the DL heads i could lap the valves and slap em on but i wanted to use as much of the original motor as possible.

i dont have high hopes for the bottom end as there is alot of play and after talking to JWX for about an hour on the phone he estimates this motor to have between 500 and 750k miles of hard use.

this isnt going to plan.
RIP WJM
rpholz
Veteran

Next

Return to Off Topic