Legacy vs. Deer - repair tips?

Try to keep it somewhat clean and reasonably PC

Moderators: Hocrest, Myxalplyx, Huck369, Moodybluesr, grossgary, john in KY, SUBBYRU89, austinXT6

Legacy vs. Deer - repair tips?

Postby grossgary on Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:18 pm

Legacy did it's job like a secret servant agent. Two deer in my lane, 75mph, 2 or 3 cars beside and behind me, and snow plowed up on the side of the interstate leaving little room, so wasn't much i could do. I couldn't see them until the last second and I was hauling when I slammed into it, barely had time for the brakes. I tried to go between them....i always seem REALLY good at that when bowling!!

Wife, Ginger, and myself are all okay, so it did what it's supposed to do. Given that we hardly slowed down, the car took a substantial hit so it's pretty bad.

I have a Legacy parts car so I'll entertain fixing it, but it'll probably be down for the count until summer. Though it is still driving, it made it home at least and I'll probably drive it to work tomorrow morning in all it's glory.

I'll post pictures of course and ask for thoughts on fixing it.
Gary
Lifted 88 XT6 FT4WD MT
87.5 XT Turbo castrated FT4WD, 89 Manual XT6
02 OBW VDC H6
96 Legacy LSi castrated to EJ18 w/FWD conversion
grossgary

Re: Legacy vs. Deer

Postby subeman90 on Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:37 pm

awwww damn GG glad you and the family are ok! which legacy is it?

I hate hitting deer. I've wrecked 2 in my life due to deer. :x

Pics when you can!
Matt
13 Crosstrek :D 07 Corolla CE ;) 07 Trek 7100 (x2) :)
SubaruJawn wrote:i dont think cuz i got beat up alot in my school days.
subeman90
Guru

Postby Huck369 on Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:57 pm

I hate to hear that Gary :(

But the important thing is you and your family are OK.

Was it the Legacy you were driving when we met in Ohio?
Huck
05 Legacy 2.5I 5-Speed
92 SVX LS-Tour (Yellow AWD 5-Speed)
92 SVX LS-Tour (Pace Car Replica)
03 Forester XS 5-Speed
The Creator of FrankenWedge

XT6 Stuff
Huck369

Postby subeman90 on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:19 pm

Matt
13 Crosstrek :D 07 Corolla CE ;) 07 Trek 7100 (x2) :)
SubaruJawn wrote:i dont think cuz i got beat up alot in my school days.
subeman90
Guru

Postby Fury on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:21 pm

Huck369 wrote:I hate to hear that Gary :(

But the important thing is you and your family are OK.

Was it the Legacy you were driving when we met in Ohio?

+1

It can happen to anyone...
Chris'88 WR XT AX7 Turbo 4WD, 5 speed,
Full EJ20T WRX Running gear,
Full 3" exhaust. Jap spec ECU, TMIC,
Gen III GT brakes + Eibach coilovers 5 lug swap & kit(http://www.crossbredperformance.com) with 17"STI rims... and other great stuff
Fury
Guru

Postby Razor on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:49 pm

ouch . . . . that is all i can say.
Krytios wrote: I don't like forcing the air content of the entire country of Mexico through my intake just to go to Wal-mart.
Razor
Veteran

Postby mikeshoup on Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:10 am

Oh man, that sucks Gary. Good thing everyone who is human is alright!

Could've been worse, you could have recorded it and had it put up on line for everyone to see:
http://i.gizmodo.com/5141974/google-map ... oogle-maps
mikeshoup
Site Admin

Postby grossgary on Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:10 am

yes huck it's the brown converted Legacy. it's not our new one.

pic's will come and hopefully i can fix it. i was debating whether to upgrade to Legacy GT hood, trunk, and bumper anyway, which I already have. so this will make that come for sure.

well, hopefully. i'm not sure how repairable it is for me. my body skills are limited.
Gary
Lifted 88 XT6 FT4WD MT
02 OBW VDC H6
grossgary

Re: Legacy vs. Deer - repair suggestions?

Postby grossgary on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:10 am

Here's the pictures.

If I attempt to open the hood do I have any chance of getting it closed again (without bungee cords and ratchet straps!!!)?
Any tips on attempting that? It has a very slow coolant drip so I'll need to check that out but I'd like to drive the car this week a couple times while I register another one.

I have a complete 97 Legacy GT Sedan so I already have all the parts. The damage to that corner looks pretty bad though (for my skill level).

The optima red-top suffered no damage, woo hoo! that cost about %15 of what i paid for the car!
Attachments
front_close.JPG
front_close.JPG (43.13 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
overview.JPG
overview.JPG (34.11 KiB) Viewed 1397 times
side_close.JPG
side_close.JPG (38.81 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
Gary
Lifted 88 XT6 FT4WD MT
02 OBW VDC H6
grossgary

Re: Legacy vs. Deer - repair tips?

Postby TomRhere on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:47 am

OUCH!!!!

On the question if the hood would latch again, if you open it...

Check the gap of the hood and PS fender, does it appear to be the same all the way front-rear?

Also, look at the center grille trim, is it in one piece, not broken or twisted badly. (would indicate center section of radiator support twisted, could bind latch mechanism).

Also look at the radiator support if you can see it all thru the bend in the hood, does it look fairly straight across the center, not pushed back or down any.

If those be true, chances are hood will shut and latch again. But,,, you may have to tweak either the hood or the latch area. Hard to say without actually seeing it. I would tweak the hood if any is needed, as it'll be replaced anyways.

If it won't fully un-latch to open it, try straightening some of the bow out of the hood.

Don't know about your neck of the woods, but around here, one can run without a hood. So if it didn't latch, I'd leave the hood off, rig a headlight in and drive it.
Tom
'82 BRAT GL; under going surgery
'85 BRAT GL
'88 GL-10 Wagon
TomRhere

Postby grossgary on Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:26 pm

TomRhere wrote:Don't know about your neck of the woods, but around here, one can run without a hood. So if it didn't latch, I'd leave the hood off, rig a headlight in and drive it.
wow, that's awesome!

thanks tom, fortunately your first tips were dead on. hood now opens and closes fine. a friend of mine and I just pulled the top support out by hand (GRRRRRR...manly men!). with a light i'm in business. ugly business!

Anyone know if that top radiator support is welded or bolted on? I have a parts car so I'm hoping it's bolt on, that would be awesome.

A question about paint. This car doesn't have any rust. I have a complete 97 Legacy GT that has some surface rust in spots. Should I swap as many of the white GT parts as possible? Like all the doors and rear bumper too, since they're already white and deal with the surface rust or only replace what I have to and paint the non-rusted brown parts white?

Not sure what to do with painting, don't really want to put much money in this car.

Since I'll probably change the car to white (since I hate brown and the replacement parts are white), any suggestions? I'm a paint/body work idiot.
Gary
Lifted 88 XT6 FT4WD MT
02 OBW VDC H6
grossgary

Postby Joostvdw on Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:35 pm

bummer about hitting that deer :? I'm real glad we don't have those around here (or atleast not on the highway!)

I wouldn't swap the white parts on the brown car, as you'll be introducing rust onto a car that doesn't have any (which seems a little backwards in my opinion) I would swap the busted parts and have those painted the same color brown.

It'll also probably be cheaper this way, because if you want to spray the whole car white, windows and all the trim will need to be removed (or masked, but that looks horrible) which means more labour which means more money. I also like the brown more, but that's just me :wink:
Joost

proud owner of:
'88 XT turbo AWD 5MT LSD digital dash
'72 Citroen DS21
'95 Yamaha TDM850
'73 Suzuki GT750 "Kettle"
'82 Vespa PK50S
Joostvdw
Guru

Postby mr.radon on Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:47 pm

Gary, so glad to hear you are okay. I'm guessing you didn't have full coverage? I'm lucky I haven't hit a deer in any of my cars yet. However, I've hit one in a Kenworth W900L. The semi had a flat Texas style bumper on it, it got bent back about 4 inches. The deer went under the front steer tire and rear drive tires, the trailer missed it. What a mess, kinda hard to maneuver a big rig on a two lane highway. Was out doing a demo drive with a new engineer. We took pictures so I could prove to my boss why the bumper got a little messed up.
1999 Forester, 2009 Z06 Vette, 2012 Twig (Leaf), (0) XT6's :-(,
mr.radon

Postby kingbobdole on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:06 pm

That smells... Looks like it's a bolt on repair... IIRC the upper core support is welded in, but it is a flimsy piece and easily bent back into shape with pliers or a hammer... Personally if you want it to look good, but not spend much, I'd throw just the parts on that it needs. Sand off any surface rust it might have on those parts and then take it to maaco. They have a half price sale every now and then so you can get the better paint for it that should last.
~Phil
EZ Cheeze
FWD magic SVX
Fe Coupe
Alfa Romeo GTV
Motorless Impreza sport
TURBO! bike
Da Rune

SubaruJawn wrote:Does yellow really do that ?

subeman90 wrote:LeBaron.

austinXT6 wrote: It's a little doo-dad that sticks up an inch or so
kingbobdole
Cheesy monarch

Postby grossgary on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:37 pm

mr.radon wrote:I'm guessing you didn't have full coverage?
no, but i would have made some good change considering i only paid 3 digits for it.

i'll be getting full coverage on the new OBW VDC so i guess when i learn the price difference i'll see if it's worth it or not.
do insurance rates go up if you hit a deer (if you have full coverage i mean)?

that radiator support seems really flimsy and not much of a structural item. i'll probably just bend it back then and maybe reinforce it with something. doesn't look like it's worth removing and welding in.

with a parts car, i can pull the on in it and see how hard it is and go by that.
Gary
Lifted 88 XT6 FT4WD MT
02 OBW VDC H6
grossgary

Next

Return to Off Topic