EJ swap on a poor XT.

Try to keep it somewhat clean and reasonably PC

Moderators: Hocrest, Myxalplyx, Huck369, Moodybluesr, grossgary, john in KY, SUBBYRU89, austinXT6

EJ swap on a poor XT.

Postby alex-svx on Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:07 am

Hello.
I have maybe find a xt here i Norrway. Its was hit by a garage. After som folks work on that garage.
The owner has take out the engine and seats. So i wondering how is it to EJ swap a xt? What must bee done?
And are the possible to get some spare parts like headlight and front bumper lip. And maybe a trunk?

Best
Alexander.
88 XT 1.8Turbo 5Mt
92 Subaru svx 5MT Yellow
92 Legacy turbo
alex-svx

Re: EJ swap on a poor XT.

Postby grossgary on Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:44 am

EJ swap can be done fairly easily:

1. have someone build you the wiring harness (unless you really want to do that yourself). there are people in the states that have built them before.
then all you do is wire up like 3 wires - power, ground, and something else. real simple.

2. need an EJ-EA adapter plate. and i think a redrilled flywheel. SJR and others sell them. this is to adapt the EJ engine to the EA transmission - it's basically just a spacer, due to length differences, other than that it's rather simple.

technically you can do steps one and 2 yourself but depends on your time and ability. far easier to just buy them up front and have less down time/complications.
if you love wiring, do step 1 yourself but it's a LOT of wiring. if you love custom metal working - do step 2 yourself.

SJR sells both of them and he's a great guy. adapter plates are $185, wiring harness is $250. flywheel can be done yourself but SJR sells them too.
http://www.sjrlift.com/index.php/catalo ... swap-parts

3. other than those two issues -an EJ engine drops right into a turbo XT. and bolts right up.

get the engine and those parts above and it all bolts right in easily with very few wires.
Gary
89 XT6
Assorted other XT6, XT Turbo
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby john in KY on Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:09 pm

I would first source a replacement for the smashed rear window before spending anything on parts because I believe you will find out finding another rear glass is going to be very,very difficult.
Welcome to the board.
john in KY

Postby Huck369 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:32 pm

if you EJ swap a XT don't use an adapter plate, use a EJ tranny along with the EJ motor, opens up clutch options and works better.....
Huck
Subaru Ambassador
88 XT6 5-Speed(Project Car)
08 Impreza 2.5I 5-Speed
92 SVX LS-Tour (Yellow AWD 5-Speed)
09 Forester X Premium
The Creator of FrankenWedge
Huck369

Postby alex-svx on Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:32 am

Hello.
Sorry late answer but i have not herd more from the seller. He should send me a message on Facebook (SubaruClubNorway).
So i think it maybe be another xt for me. Even i really want to save it.
But thanks for answer. I will check out about the rear window also. :D

Thanks.
88 XT 1.8Turbo 5Mt
92 Subaru svx 5MT Yellow
92 Legacy turbo
alex-svx

Postby alex-svx on Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:51 pm

grossgary wrote:EJ swap can be done fairly easily:

1. have someone build you the wiring harness (unless you really want to do that yourself). there are people in the states that have built them before.
then all you do is wire up like 3 wires - power, ground, and something else. real simple.

2. need an EJ-EA adapter plate. and i think a redrilled flywheel. SJR and others sell them. this is to adapt the EJ engine to the EA transmission - it's basically just a spacer, due to length differences, other than that it's rather simple.

technically you can do steps one and 2 yourself but depends on your time and ability. far easier to just buy them up front and have less down time/complications.
if you love wiring, do step 1 yourself but it's a LOT of wiring. if you love custom metal working - do step 2 yourself.

SJR sells both of them and he's a great guy. adapter plates are $185, wiring harness is $250. flywheel can be done yourself but SJR sells them too.
http://www.sjrlift.com/index.php/catalo ... swap-parts

3. other than those two issues -an EJ engine drops right into a turbo XT. and bolts right up.

get the engine and those parts above and it all bolts right in easily with very few wires.

I have finally got he xt i want. But the engine is no good and i still have the turbo legacy in my back yard. Is the some one that sale the completed wiring harness for the turbo to swap over to the EJ engine.

Can i just use the transmission and driveline form the legacy over to the xt.
88 XT 1.8Turbo 5Mt
92 Subaru svx 5MT Yellow
92 Legacy turbo
alex-svx

Postby john in KY on Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:15 pm

The XT could have either a 3.70 or 3.90 rear differential depending on whether automatic or manual. The Legacy probably has either a 3.90 or the 4.11. Subaru in the early 1990s used both ratio in the turbo Legacy. If your turbo Legacy has the 4.11 ratio I am pretty sure the rear differential can just be swapped out.
john in KY

Return to Off Topic