Two 1986 Subaru XT Turbos, looking for a good home

Marketplace for vehicle buyers and sellers

Moderators: Hocrest, Myxalplyx, Huck369, Moodybluesr, grossgary, john in KY, SUBBYRU89, austinXT6

Two 1986 Subaru XT Turbos, looking for a good home

Postby jleez on Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:42 pm

Pending sale. Willing to work with you to transport the cars. I'm hoping to find a good, loving home for these cars, so I'm turning to this forum first. I'm located in Detroit, Michigan.

I know, I know. Long time (very long time) lurker and my first post is a for sale ad...

A few years ago, I spotted online what appeared to be the cleanest, rust-free Subaru XT Turbo that I'd seen in a long time. I managed to buy the car from Portland, Oregon, and have it shipped to me here in the Metro Detroit area. I found another Subaru XT Turbo in New York some time after, bought it, and had it shipped to me for use as a parts car. The idea was to combine the good interior of the red XT Turbo with the good body of the black XT Turbo.

However, I've come to terms with the fact that with a couple other cars in my garage vying for my attention, and my quite frankly crap mechanic abilities, I'll never be able to rebuild the black Subaru XT Turbo back to its former glory. My original goal was to restore the black XT Turbo to as close to concours condition as I could, then blow people's minds with a minty XT Turbo wedge from futures past at car shows, perhaps take the car to Monterey Bay and surprise folks at Concours d'Lemons.

The Black 1986 Subaru XT Turbo

The Good:

• Body is remarkably clean, with mostly minor surface rust present.
  • Car runs and drives.
  • The digital dash works, and looks awesome.

The Very Bad:

• The air suspension is not working. Air lines are not hooked up. I jumped the relay and I can hear the air compressor working, so you’ve got that going for you. Other than that, I don’t know how easily or difficult it will be getting the air suspension back to working condition. Because the air suspension isn’t working, the car is sitting pretty much on the bump stops, making for a very jarring ride. I wouldn’t recommend driving the car any distance at all. (The previous owner claimed that he was able to raise the car on the air suspension. The red XT Turbo has verified working air shocks that inflate with the diagnostic tool, but not with the dash button. Across the two cars, you may be able to create one set of working air shocks...)
  • The interior and the trunk needs a lot of cleaning. Smells super funky, like many an 80’s afterparty took place in the cabin. I steam cleaned the front seats, and they look better, but the rest of the interior needs the same kind of cleaning effort. (The red XT Turbo has a complete set of seats in great condition that are not stained and are not stinky.)
  • The 4WD button on top of the manual shifter sometimes sticks, trapping the car in 4WD if you are so unlucky as to engage 4WD and the button doesn’t pop back up. (I have a replacement shifter from the red XT Turbo that is in much better shape that should be swapped in.)

The Not Quite as Bad:

• There is no exhaust, for some reason.
  • The front fog lights are not hooked up.
  • Driver side door handle is a vestigial shadow of itself.
  • Interior needs some love. A lot of love. Some previous owner loved his duct tape a little bit too much. (I have an uncracked dashboard from the red XT Turbo that I'm having one hell of a hard time extricating. But if you can get that dashboard out, you'll have a good one for the black XT Turbo.)
  • Inexplicably, one of the wheels is missing a lugnut, with a shortened wheel stud. Pretty sure someone overtorqued the lug nut and sheared off the stud.
  • Wheels have been painted flat black by someone who couldn’t be bothered to removed the wheels and lugnuts off the car first. I also have no idea what wheels are on the car; they look to me like Peugeot wheels, but the previous owner insisted that the wheels are factory. A mystery for you to figure out!
  • Driver side seat belt is floppy and doesn’t like to retract. (There's a good one in the red XT Turbo.)
  • One of the power windows is slow going up and down. I think it’s a ground that needs to be cleaned. Never got around to that point, as I was still trying to clean the interior of its previous ecological disaster.
  • The driver side sun visor is missing. (There is a spare that can be installed.)
  • When washing the car, I discovered that the trunk leaks water, which probably helps explain the funky smell in the trunk. The floor still looks solid, though.
  • One of the rear tires has a slow air leak.
  • Poor touch ups on the paint in a lot of places.
  • Rust bubble on the sunroof. I'm hoping that that is the only "significant" rust on the entire car...

The mono wiper I tested and found working; the power windows work with the exception of one slow one, as mentioned above; the radio works. Hmm, I don't actually know if the A/C works, as I just assumed that it didn't and never bothered testing it.

Pictures:

Last edited by jleez on Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jleez

Re: Two 1986 Subaru XT Turbos, looking for a good home

Postby jleez on Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:04 am

The Red 1986 XT Turbo

I bought this car as a running and driving car. The interior was in fantastic condition with a rusty body. My intention was to swap all of the good bits from this car into the black XT Turbo. It's probably easiest to list all of the things that I intended to move from the red car to the black one.

Good parts:

• Good interior carpet, seats, and sun visors. All were destined to replace the stained, smelly items in the black car.
  • Good trunk carpet and undamaged trunk liners.
  • Stock wheels
  • Shifter and console removed, intended to replace the janky ones in the black car.
  • Completely crack free dash, that I'm currently scared to death that I'm going to ruin during removal. I thought I'd combine the dash pad of the red car with the uncracked dash trim of the black car, and keep the OEM radio from the black car.
  • Good steering wheel with no duct tape.
  • Air suspension that works when triggered manually with the nifty old-school diagnostics box that came with the car. The air shocks don't inflate with the dash button, unfortunately.
  • Exhaust that I was thinking I'd move over to the other car.
  • Good tailights and turn signals that I thought would be worth saving as spares.
  • Good drivetrain that could be removed and kept in spares.

I drove the red car around for a bit -- and it was a good deal of fun -- before starting to tear it apart.

Pictures:

Current state of both cars:

Last edited by jleez on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jleez

Postby jleez on Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:10 am

If you need local eyes to inspect the car, Moodybluesr lives close by. He actually let me drive, very briefly, Ruby Sue almost a decade ago, and introduced me to these cars.

I'm willing to go the extra mile to get these cars into a good home. The red car currently is immobile and up on jack stands, but I can buy new tires for the wheels, bolt them back on, and make the car mobile again. (It still won't be drivable, as I've already taken the shifter assembly out of the red car for the black one.) Or, if you're super handy, you can strip the parts you want off the car in my garage and I'll take care of the shell, so you just have to bring the running and driving black car home.

I'm asking $1500 for both cars. For the right person, I'm willing to cut a better deal. If there's no interest here, I'll try eBay again or one of the many classic car aggregation sites, but I'd prefer not to go that route...
jleez

Postby Huck369 on Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:55 am

Sounds like a good deal for someone, hopefully you'll find them a good home!
Huck
Subaru Ambassador
88 XT6 5-Speed(Project Car)
08 Impreza 2.5I 5-Speed
92 SVX LS-Tour (Yellow AWD 5-Speed)
09 Forester X Premium
The Creator of FrankenWedge
Huck369

Postby Zebisko on Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:38 pm

Pm sent
1988 Subaru XT6 FT4WD 5-speed "Ruby Sue"
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
Zebisko

Postby jleez on Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:00 am

Replied to PMs. For some reason, I didn't get thread reply notifications or PM notifications in my email, so I apologize for the long delay in my responses.

In case I don't reply promptly to a PM, you may contact me at enginetone@gmail.com.
jleez

Postby jleez on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:18 pm

EDIT: Pending sale.

Not much work has progressed since last year. A few more interior bits have been removed from the red car, but the dashboard is still in there. The front seats of the black car were removed, but I haven't put the good seats from the red car in yet. The black car will also need a new battery, as the battery isn't able to crank the starter, even after sitting on a battery tender.

I plugged my diagnostic box into the black car and it looks like it's the front right air shock that has a busted ride height sensor.

Last edited by jleez on Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jleez

Postby grossgary on Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:26 am

What is that diagnostic tool?
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby jleez on Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:31 pm

I got the box with the red parts car. Remove the control unit for the air suspension and plug this box in its place, and you can troubleshoot and manually run most all of the functions of the air suspension.

Some intrepid kid came by and put some sweat equity into the car, swapping the air compressor, the passenger front air shock, and a fuel injector from the parts car. Car now can inflate the air suspension and runs a lot better. Suffice to say, car is now pending sale...
jleez

Return to XTs/XT6s for sale