1989 XT6 5 speed 160K miles - UPDATE: "SOLD"! (free]

Marketplace for vehicle buyers and sellers

Moderators: Hocrest, Myxalplyx, Huck369, Moodybluesr, grossgary, john in KY, SUBBYRU89, austinXT6

1989 XT6 5 speed 160K miles - UPDATE: "SOLD"! (free]

Postby austinXT6 on Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:26 pm

>>>>>UPDATE<<<

The car now has a new home with someone who is going to restore it. Great guy who also owns a '92 SVX and a '99 Legacy GT.

PRICE UPDATE: FREE to any member of the board (who has been on here for a while, not someone who just joins to get the car)

1989 XT6
5 Speed (brand new clutch!)
Pearl white (Cadillac "White Diamond")
Runs fine, but electrical gremlin (details below) will occasionally cause a hiccup
~160K miles

I'll throw in a bunch of spare parts (really good stuff), but you'll want to bring a full sized truck, van, or a trailer for all that (includes engine, 4EAT, seats, etc.)

I'm selling my XT6 and going to concentrate on fixing up my SVX. This will be the first time in 26 years I haven't had an XT6 for an extended time as my daily driver. It kind of kills me to do it, but my wife and I talked about it and this is the direction I want to go in. I'm not giving up on XT ownership entirely, but it'll probably be a while before I get another (sadly).

I don't believe in selling a car without disclosing any issues it may have, so I'll do the good and the bad, starting with the bad first:

The Bad:

1. The car has some weird electrical gremlin that I can't chase down.
A few years ago I would have been happy to "get into it" and figure out what's causing it, but now I'm old and gray-haired and simply don't have an interest (or the knowledge really) to do it. I'm guessing that someone with even a modest knowledge of electricity or automotive electronics could easily fix it. The problems started out as minor, temporary inconveniences: passenger side window was slow to go up and down, radio would turn off briefly and then back on, etc. Then rarely but occasionally the wiper would sometimes not work for a minute or so after taking a 90°right hand turns. Then it progressed to the point that the radio would just continuously go on and off. Then in the last month or so the windows simply wouldn't go up or down at all, and now the cooling fans won't come on. That's a biggie. I can't drive the car in slow traffic without it heating up. As long as I'm moving and a lot of air is flowing over the radiator the temperature is normal, but otherwise it heats up to the point I have to pull over and shut off the car. So a lot of little things and one major one are all based on some electrical issue that I can't figure out.

2. The radio, mentioned above is a bad driveway installation job.
This could be the entire reason for the electrical problems I'm having (and I have a nagging suspicion that's totally what it is). I know nothing more about electricity than how to turn on a light switch. Electricity is a big mystery to me. So I had a friend install the stereo for me, but he didn't solder wires - he just used crimp connectors, etc. So I have a sneaking suspicion that's an issue. The good news here is, the stereo is totally loose in the dash cavity - just sitting there - and it can easily be pulled out. Someone with a proper knowledge of how to install an aftermarket radio should have zero problems doing the job right... or getting rid of the stereo. If you don't want it, I'll keep it - I actually really like it. Here's a link to what kind it is.

3. It needs minor body work.

a.) Nothing major at all, but it has a rust spot on the right rear fender. This was the result of a dent that I never took care of. It's surface rust that has now juuuuuust started to get deeper. I know it can be ground down, sanded, filled, primed, and painted.

b.) It's got some surface rust bubbling up on the lower doors in a couple of places. Again, nothing major at all though.

c.) My daughter had a minor accident involving some brush in a curbless median (i.e., no damage from running over a curb or anything, she just miscalculated the turn and slid into some small trees/bushes). It damaged the driver's side headlight door, the driver's side fender, and the driver's side mirror. The good news here is I replaced all those parts. I painted them by hand and the paint was actually a damned good match! In fact, I was actually pretty proud to show it off at the Dragon. Why? Because it was 100% a rattle can job and the paint I was matching to was a 3 part white pearl (Cadillac White Diamond). They don't make touch up paint for that but I was able to get really close - so close that if I didn't point it out you probably would never know it wasn't the same as the rest of the paint on the car. Unfortunately, because I was rushing the job to get it done in time to go to the Dragon meet, I didn't allow enough time for the paint to dry before applying the clear. As a result, over the next week the clear picked up all kinds of dirt. With the car dirty all over, you don't notice the problem. But if you wash it, you see a dirty fender, headlight door and mirror. This is an EASY fix. In fact, if it weren't for the electrical problems I'm having, I'd be keeping the car and re-doing the paint on these pieces. The point is, the panels are good but need to be re-painted.

4.) The cam seals are leaking.
Nothing major. Anyone who has changed their timing belts knows how easy a job the cam seals are. I actually have new cam seals, timing belts,crank seal, and water pump in unopened boxes, I just hadn't gotten around to the job (was going to this past weekend or so, but the electrical problems were my primary concern). So no big deal, but it is dripping a couple of oil spots on the driveway. Again, easily fixed.

That's the bad.

The Good:

1.) It's all there. The car is solid, straight, and (other than the stock radio) complete. Other than minor body work, it's a good looking XT6.

2.) I have four working air struts that I haven't put in. When I was sold the car, I was told that the compressor and everything was working and the guy had a set of air struts he'd sell me. I opted not to buy them but then ended up getting a full set later from someone else. I've just never put them in. (seeing a pattern here? :lol: - I tend to have plans for things but rarely carry them out :roll: :oops: :oops:)

3.) I just had a brand new clutch put in.

4.) I have a TON of XT6 parts I'll throw in for free. I could probably make a fair amount of money selling parts, but I'm just more prone to give them to people that need them rather than sell 'em. I'm weird that way. Anyway, when I say I have a lot of parts, I mean I have a LOT of parts. They're all organized and boxed except for a few large things: An engine (heads are in a box), a professionally rebuilt 4EAT transmission (from my original FWD XT6 I lost in 2003 - about 1K miles on the rebuild), interior trim and seats, and a passenger side fender.

5.) I have a set of original XT6 alloy wheels I'll throw in for free.

6.) I have a set of factory service manuals I'll throw in for free.

7.) I have a few seals, gaskets, etc. and a K&N air filter, that I'll throw in for free.

LONG STORY SHORT:
My car has electrical problems that I don't have the time or patience to deal with so I'm selling it. It has some cosmetic issues that I was about to deal with, but now that I'm selling it I'm not going to put in the effort. If it didn't have the electrical issue, I'd be keeping it. It runs well and as anyone can tell you I love XT6es (that's why I started this website!)

I paid $3,100 in 2012. Considering the electrical issues and the minor cosmetic problems, I'm willing to take half that give it away for free and toss in all the extra stuff. So I'll sell it for $1,500.

UPDATE: The car and all the spare parts I have are FREE to anyone who shows up with a pickup truck and/or trailer. Not kidding. You come down to FL, I'll help you load up the truck. The car can most likely be driven in convoy back as it doesn't tend to overheat on the highway. But I make no guarantees on that either. Heck, if you don't want to take any chances, for the cost of a U-Haul trailer rental you can have a GREAT project car.

-Austin
JAX, FL
Laguna blue (with dents and peeling clear coat) '96 SVX LSi

No longer mine, but in good hands:
Pearl White '89 4WD 5 speed
╔°══════°╗
FLT SIX
╚°══════°╝
austinXT6
Site Admin

Re: 1989 XT6 5 speed 160K miles $1,500 - Florida

Postby crazyhorse_001 on Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:35 pm

This is disappointing news Austin. At least you still have an Alcyone, and a 6cyl at that. If i had the extra vacation time, i wouldnt think twice about coming down, and just fixing it for you. You're on the right track, the issue is in the center stack wiring. Does your lighter work? If not replace that fuse, your fan, and ac relays operate off that fuse. I had that issue with my current 6. My pass window is slow as molasses on both the 6's I've had. My current daily XT GL isn't power tho. To experiment, unplug the radio, that is if you get the fans working again.

I can, and will vouch for the appearance of your car. It's one of the better looking xt's out there. I also know you take very good care of your cars, and wont try to BS a buyer.

If the buyer doesnt take your parts stash pm me, and we'll see if we can cut a deal.
Nought but by the grace of God
Don't run out of talent, grip, and road all at the same time
'88 XT GL FWD/5spd, Gunmetal Grey "Little Bit"
'91 XT6 FWD/4eat, Silver, lost the battle with the the rust monster
crazyhorse_001
Veteran

Postby grossgary on Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:10 am

Sad day! But I totally get it. You're smarter than I, Probably better off to sell mine years ago.

Thanks for listing here, hope someone gets it.
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby Huck369 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:39 am

I hate to hear of you selling your XT6 Austin, but glad to hear you'll be getting the SVX up and back on the road, best of luck on the sale!
Huck
Subaru Ambassador
88 XT6 5-Speed(Project Car)
08 Impreza 2.5I 5-Speed
92 SVX LS-Tour (Yellow AWD 5-Speed)
09 Forester X Premium
The Creator of FrankenWedge
Huck369

Postby Myxalplyx on Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:16 pm

Whoa what? Selling your XT6? NOOOoooooo! Just let it sit on the side somewhere like I do for a few weeks, months. Awe man! I'm actually sad! I'll take the Misses to work tomorrow and pour some liquid out the window to show my respect.

I also have the slow passenger side window, on occasions.
Kevin Thomas
1989 2.7ltr XT6 AWD/Auto *WndCttr*
JC Sports Intake, Rallispec Header, Custom 2.5" exhaust with 2.5" Magnaflow muffler
Advanced Timing 32 degrees
ProECM Lightweight pulley
4.44 gears, LSD
Myxalplyx

Postby Moodybluesr on Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:20 pm

Had I not just purchased the bugeye... seriously Austin I wish you luck and will keep an eye/ear out for anyone in the market.
Jim
My eBay feedback
2003 WRX wagon
2002 Dyna Super Glide Sport
Moodybluesr

Postby Myxalplyx on Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:00 pm

WAIT...Austin. Just read this again. You have 4 working air struts. I will take them ALL off of your hands. Give me a price.
Kevin Thomas
JC Sports Intake, Rallispec Header, Custom 2.5" exhaust with 2.5" Magnaflow muffler
4.44 gears, LSD
Myxalplyx

Postby Myxalplyx on Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:39 pm

Austin,

I will also take the gaskets and seals off of your hands. My driver's side seat is a little bit less than perfect. I'll take yours. You can put the $$$ towards your SVX. Let me know!

Kevin
Kevin Thomas
4.44 gears, LSD
Myxalplyx

Postby alex-svx on Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:03 am

I am looking for a XT6, i will try to get over to US later this year, but maybe its sold my then.
The car runs grate and can bee used when i over in US or is it overheat very fast?

And do you have some photos of the car? :D

Thanks and best.
88 XT 1.8Turbo 5Mt
92 Subaru svx 5MT Yellow
92 Legacy turbo
alex-svx

Postby austinXT6 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:27 pm

Alex,

The car overheats when there is no air moving over the radiator. The car has an electrical problem that is preventing the cooling fans from working (also the windows won't work for the same reason).

I can't wait very long, so I probably won't have the car for sale much longer. I want to get rid of the car soon because it is just taking up space in my driveway. Unfortunately I will probably have to donate the car to charity or send it to the junkyard. :(

Sorry.

-Austin
JAX, FL
Laguna blue (with dents and peeling clear coat) '96 SVX LSi

No longer mine, but in good hands:
Pearl White '89 4WD 5 speed
╔°══════°╗
FLT SIX
╚°══════°╝
austinXT6
Site Admin

Postby austinXT6 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:39 pm

Myxalplyx wrote:WAIT...Austin. Just read this again. You have 4 working air struts. I will take them ALL off of your hands. Give me a price.

I don't really want to get into parting out the car at all. The struts aren't attached so maybe I can part with them. As for the seat that I have on a shelf out in my garage, well, it's been sitting up there for ten years with a passenger seat on top of it (both laid out flat-ish). The garage is a mess, so I am not sure what kind of condition it's in NOW. Ten years ago it was in perfect condition though. I'm not even sure how I'd get that to Delaware - I guess I could take it to the UPS store and say, "Pack it up". They might have a box big enough or some other packaging.

I'm at the point right now that I just want to be rid of it all and start over from scratch. Meaning, I want to just get rid of everything and someday get another XT but I know that will be a while, and in the meantime I don't want a bunch of XT6 stuff taking up space in the garage. I'm even going to get rid of my SVX and get another one (just decided that this afternoon as a matter of fact).

If I had a garage with a lift and the right tools, and if I were ten years younger (and 50 lbs lighter!), I'd keep at it with the XT6. And I really DO want to get another XT6 someday (I really do!). Unfortunately I'm at the point in my life where I just need to be rid of what I have right now. :cry:

I've found an SVX online that I may go buy in the next couple of days. And then I think I'll donate my two cars to charity. As for all the parts, I'll probably put 'em on craigslist for free for anyone who wants to come pick 'em up. I just don't feel like managing the parting out process.

I'll see about the struts and the seat (for you), and it'll be no charge (other than shipping). You're in New Castle, right?
austinXT6
Site Admin

Postby grossgary on Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:26 am

It doesn't overheat at all while driving on the interstate?

You could wire fans to "always on " (with key)to get it usable.
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby alex-svx on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:17 am

austinXT6 wrote:Alex,

The car overheats when there is no air moving over the radiator. The car has an electrical problem that is preventing the cooling fans from working (also the windows won't work for the same reason).

I can't wait very long, so I probably won't have the car for sale much longer. I want to get rid of the car soon because it is just taking up space in my driveway. Unfortunately I will probably have to donate the car to charity or send it to the junkyard. :(

Sorry.

-Austin

Hello.
I undestand i really hope up dont have send it to the junkyard. I would really like to get it instead. :)
But do you know if the are some shipping firm that can send a car to Norway?
Maybe i can bye it from you little bit faster. If you can go little down on the price that i dont have so much money at the moment.

Do you have some photos of it?
I would like to see how it looks. You can send on Facebook if you dont have any here. :D

Thanks and best.
Alex.
88 XT 1.8Turbo 5Mt
92 Subaru svx 5MT Yellow
92 Legacy turbo
alex-svx

Postby alex-svx on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:54 am

I send you a PM. :D
88 XT 1.8Turbo 5Mt
92 Subaru svx 5MT Yellow
92 Legacy turbo
alex-svx

Postby austinXT6 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:13 pm

grossgary wrote:It doesn't overheat at all while driving on the interstate?

You could wire fans to "always on " (with key)to get it usable.

I tried that. (In fact I need to remember to de-solder those connections!) The problem is there's other electrical issues going on too. I've literally gotten to the point where I just want it out of my driveway so I can start fresh.

In fact, here's a new price: FREE
If somebody shows up they can have it (bring a pickup or SUV or something, if you want a bunch of extra parts). I just want to start over with a blank slate. I'm just at that age and at that stage in life. I'm kind of tired of fixing things, or making do. I'm going to give it about another week or so. My daughter is saying she'll list both cars for me as $500 OBO for both on Craigslist, and maybe that's the route to go, but I don't want to wait too long. If I can't get 'em sold I'll just donate 'em.

Honestly. I'm just that tired of having two cars in my driveway that I don't have the knowledge or gumption to fix, and that I have to maneuver around to park.

I was going to fix my SVX, but I think I'm going to sell/donate it to charity. I've got my eye on another one that seems to be in good shape, and it would be about the same money as what it'd take to get mine in good shape. That way I can just pay one price and have the car I want. Also, my local PBS/NPR affiliate gets it as a charitable support donation. Win/win.

Super bummed out about how it's all worked out, but I only have myself to blame for letting my SVX sit unfixed for 2-3 years. I think with the new SVX (should I get it), I'll just take it to the dealer for maintenance. I'm officially "old".
austinXT6
Site Admin

Next

Return to XTs/XT6s for sale