1986 subaru XT turbo FWD suspension solutions

upgraded suspension projects, suspension swaps, etc.

Moderators: Hocrest, Myxalplyx, Huck369, Moodybluesr, grossgary, john in KY, SUBBYRU89, austinXT6

1986 subaru XT turbo FWD suspension solutions

Postby ckeough86 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:32 pm

86 FWD people will hopefully find this helpful

having the shortest front strut ever made for an ea82 was something i didnt know when buying this car
this is only my third subaru and the second ive worked on but if you dont want to change every thing to EJ front suspension

KONI yellow strut inserts
The bottom of the strut does sit in the steer knuckle
so you have to get the bottom of your strut flat
then follow the KONI instructions
after that weld a longer thicker collar onto the bottom of your old strut to encapsulate the strut insert screw
so instead of legacy or impreza struts that raised my xt atleast 1 inch in front its stock again
ckeough86

Re: 1986 subaru XT turbo FWD suspension solutions

Postby RoyaleXT on Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:18 am

When you say convert to EJ suspension, Do you mean that the XT accepts suspension off of cars using Ej's? like first gen foresters and 02-07 WRX's?
RoyaleXT

Postby ckeough86 on Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:45 pm

yeah from my own experience EJ suspension will fit on a ea82 chasis with modification

I figured my options for EJ swap to be (also really depends on what vehicle you wanna do this to) this is for my FWD XT-4 from 1986

it was either
A) get EJ suspension hubs etc. minus the lower control arm and have the lower control armed modified to fit EJ ball joint and use EA82 top hot and coil springs on EJ struts
(what i did)

or

B) get EJ control arms and modify your your cross member to fit control arms from there you could go two ways with struts you could modify strut towesr to fit EJ coil top hats or just use EA top hats and spring

You cannot use EJ spring with EA top hat. EJ springs are tapered EA are not

Also any reference to EA in this post means specifically EA82 not EA81 or earlier
ckeough86

Postby ckeough86 on Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:51 pm

oh and from what i know EJ suspension up to 2004 Sti will convert just fine

i personally have a setup from a 2002 impreza RS
ckeough86

Postby grossgary on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:06 pm

EJ and EA struts don't swap straight up - you have to do a conversion from 4 lug to 5 lug.

meaning install EJ front hubs - which the struts then bolt to - so *then* you can use EJ struts if you're bolting them to EJ hubs. you'll have to determine how you'd like to go with EJ front hubs....it requires either XT6 front control arms or hogging out the EA82 control arm for the larger ball joint, which folks have said can break (some Aus folks on here have seen it happen), you will also loose your emergency brake as it's part of the EA82 front calipers - on EJ stuff it's part of the rear calipers.

and then you'll need rear 5 lug to match...unless you want mismatched wheels and suff?... and rears can not be EJ parts....well not without massive fabricating and customization...if you're capable of removing a complete rear suspension and fabricating another suspension that doesn't come close to fitting in it's place - then you hardly need to ask questions here - get in the garage and fire up the blue wrench!

you'll need rear XT6 hubs for 5 lug or buy adapters...which have never been available until right now via a guy on USMB.
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby ckeough86 on Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:11 pm

Yep Gary got it right

But one thing Airbagit.com sells wheel adapters 4x140 to 5x100
ckeough86

Postby nncoolg on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:02 pm

I don't understand your first post in this thread, what are you putting inserts into?
nncoolg
Veteran

Postby ckeough86 on Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:17 pm

koni yellow inserts go into your old stock struts look em up they are pretty neat
ckeough86

Postby nncoolg on Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:31 pm

Do you have a part number?

What do you mean about the welding at the bottom?
nncoolg
Veteran

Postby ckeough86 on Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:40 pm

Part #: KON 8610 1453SPORT-GRP

is the ones i used but please do the math and sizing up the inserts for yourself
I am not an expert but this did work for me

and as far as welding the bottom bit I realize now that a previous owner modified my steering knuckles and that wouldnt be needed for stock knuckles
I also realize now that the previous owner made those knuckles unsafe by doing what he did to them (thats a different story) but that xt is gone and I got a better one. Gotta call the fella who bought it from me so he isnt riding around unsafe. anyways....

If you wanna give me a day or two I can draw and scan some pics of what i did Wish i took some pictures when i still had the car.

heres pictures of a guy doing the strut inserts http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39028
I dont know or care what kind of car he is doing this to but it can give you a good idea of how this would work on an ea82
ckeough86

Postby nncoolg on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:25 pm

I'm interested in how the knuckles were modified? Are you able to elaborate on that?
Also, I didn't think our xt struts were serviceable(no insert retaining nut at the top)...
nncoolg
Veteran

Postby ckeough86 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:01 pm

your right they are not serviceable you cut the strut and take all the guts out and put in the koni insert thats what they are made for

and i found the previous owner modified the knuckles (4 lug by the way or this wouldnt make any sense) by welding a cap on the very bottom of where the strut slides through the knuckles
so the bottom of the strut was sitting on a plate I thought this was stock cause it looked really good and everything fit good
What they hoped to accomplish by closing up that part of the knuckle I have not even a guess, but after thinking about it all the previous owner really did was take some of the clamping action out of the steering knuckle where it pinches the strut (you know the part at the top of the knuckle that has a slit in it and a long bolt slides through) meaning that it could be possible if somebody was inclined to get some air or go over a huge speed bump too fast the strut could actually hop out of the knuckle cause the knuckle cant pinch the strut as snug as it could when stock

yeah...... somebody wasn't thinking on that one
ckeough86

Return to Suspension