Dragon 2007: Date is set for July 20-22

Forum for Subaru XT and/or XT6 owners

Moderators: Hocrest, Myxalplyx, Huck369, Moodybluesr, grossgary, john in KY, SUBBYRU89, austinXT6

Postby Huck369 on Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:35 pm

Moodybluesr wrote:I would have been all over those rims, Jeff, if I hadn't just bought those Volks. Things are looking a little better as far as me being able to attend the meet. :D

That's great Jim...I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Huck
Subaru Ambassador
88 XT6 5-Speed(Project Car)
08 Outback Wagon
92 SVX LS-Tour (Yellow AWD 5-Speed)
09 Forester X Premium
The Creator of FrankenWedge
Huck369

Postby Jeffast on Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:12 pm

Moodybluesr wrote:I would have been all over those rims, Jeff, if I hadn't just bought those Volks. Things are looking a little better as far as me being able to attend the meet. :D

yay, and buy my rims
in between failures
shawnw wrote: Jesus Christ Jeff this is why you cant have nice things

91 xt6 just enough eg33
99 mazda miata
this statement might have lent more authenticity if you had pants on
subeman90 wrote:I always cry after sex.
Jeffast
Post-itute

Postby austinXT6 on Thu May 03, 2007 5:03 pm

Here's an interesting video (I think it's from a Ferrari, judging only by the sound :?):

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2713585

A coworker and I watched this pretty closely and at first we were convinced that the video was sped up... but then we started noticing things like the speed at which brake lights were coming on, etc.... I think it's un-manipulated. :shock: I mean I was pretty much sure it couldn't be real, especially when you see him vs. oncoming traffic, but then again I had to reconsider the "closure rate" of speed (his speed plus that of the on-coming traffic) and the fact that they were coming around corners and visible for only a second or so as he went around the same corner in the opposite direction. (whew!) Then I'd be convinced again that it was sped up... then I'd see something else that made me think it was real.

Basically, it's amazing if it's real and it's cool video if it's not. ;) But if you've ever wondered what the Dragon is like, this is it.

-a
austinXT6
Site Admin

Postby DerFahrer on Thu May 03, 2007 6:11 pm

That does indeed appear unmanipulated. If it is sped up, it's a DAMN good job.

Plus, if it's not, you have sooooo been dethroned Huck :lol:
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK
Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb
DerFahrer
Moderator Emeritus

Postby avatar382 on Thu May 03, 2007 6:13 pm

No XT, but I'm going. I'll be coming in a Nissan, but I've got a Subaru heart.

Where y'all staying? I haven't decided whether to do the cabin, or camp, or the hotel... Who has booked already?

See y'all there!
95' Nissan 240SX
Yellow bicycle

(Soon, an XT will grace this sig again!)
Veteran

Postby Moodybluesr on Thu May 03, 2007 6:35 pm

That video was doctored... otherwise he would have caught that Civic or whatever it was that passed him up just as the video started. :lol:
Jim
My eBay feedback
2003 WRX wagon
2002 Dyna Super Glide Sport
Moodybluesr

Postby austinXT6 on Thu May 03, 2007 8:41 pm

Maybe that Civic or whatever it was, was that Impreza that pulled over to get out of the way. :?

I think the engine matches the action perfectly, and yet it never goes from normal to mosquito sounding.

Another thing that briefly crossed my mind was that Michael Schumacher has driven the Dragon before and he'd have both the access to a highly tuned Ferrari AND the most skill (arguably in the world) to drive it to its limits in such a situation... but then I also realized that Schuey probably wouldn't have his video produced by an outfit called "Chassis Mutts" either. :lol:

If you watch it VERY carefully you'll notice other things moving in the video that seem to be at about the right speed. In addition, one other thing that can be deceptive is the angle. That is, because the car is obviously a low-slung exotic, its closer proximity to the pavement portrays a perspective predisposed to possible perception problems. Sorry, I couldn't resist! Nah, really though, being closer to the ground with a fixed camera can make things seem WAY faster and more "on the edge" than they really are. I noticed the Honda Odyssey seemed to be going pretty fast too, as well as the white Ford Expedition, but they also seemed to be almost stretched images of themselves, meaning the camera distorted their appearance. So I think part of what's going on is that they also seem to cover slightly more ground slightly faster. Could be, might not be... I dunno.

Again I defer to the speed with which the incandescent bulbed brake lights come on and go off, and to the beautiful engine note.

I was 50/50 on the matter, but now I'm about 75/25 in favor of its being real. :?
austinXT6
Site Admin

Postby austinXT6 on Thu May 03, 2007 8:59 pm

All that being said, I just took another look at it here at home... it's good editing but I now think it's been sped up in places. Tough to say. If only we had a chase car and/or some exterior stationary cars to corroborate our speculations.

Oh well, it is what it is, and it is at least entertaining. :)
austinXT6
Site Admin

Postby Huck369 on Thu May 03, 2007 9:04 pm

avatar382 wrote:No XT, but I'm going. I'll be coming in a Nissan, but I've got a Subaru heart.

Where y'all staying? I haven't decided whether to do the cabin, or camp, or the hotel... Who has booked already?

See y'all there!

I've booked a room at the inn...

And you'll always be welcome Manny, after all you have owned 2 XT's before, so I know it's still in your blood :twisted:
Huck
Subaru Ambassador
08 Outback Wagon
09 Forester X Premium
Huck369

Postby Jeffast on Fri May 04, 2007 1:26 am

Huck369 wrote:
avatar382 wrote:No XT, but I'm going. I'll be coming in a Nissan, but I've got a Subaru heart.

See y'all there!

I've booked a room at the inn...

And you'll always be welcome Manny, after all you have owned 2 XT's before, so I know it's still in your blood :twisted:

that was edited a little,
http://www.ifilm.com/video/2753672
i found this gem on that site as well
in between failures

91 xt6 just enough eg33
99 mazda miata
Jeffast
Post-itute

Postby kingbobdole on Fri May 04, 2007 1:28 am

I think its been sped up, but only slightly...
First thing I noticed is that the focus(or civic or whatever) got out of the way WAY too fast! :lol: :lol:
Other then that people pull off the road really REALLY slowly, and those people flew off the road.

Not that it matters, it's still sweet.
~Phil
EZ Cheeze
FWD magic SVX
Fe Coupe
Rust in the shape of a BRAT
Alfa Romeo GTV
Motorless Impreza sport
TURBO! bike
Da Rune

SubaruJawn wrote:Does yellow really do that ?

subeman90 wrote:LeBaron.

austinXT6 wrote: It's a little doo-dad that sticks up an inch or so
kingbobdole
Cheesy monarch

Postby Fury on Fri May 04, 2007 5:05 am

I can definately tell that it is a multi layered soud track. ( my brother owns an indepedant film studio) soI do have some knowedge of professional editing

Even with basic editing software such a Pinnicle studio 9, the sound can remain te same pitch, but quickened or slowed, cut, coppied and pasted to lengthen, or shorten to suit clips. There are parts that actually sound like a different car! There are sound "bobs" that you can actually hear - ie the clipping sound going into and out of some corners. Very obvious when he pulls back on the road . changes are not in syncro.

I would say that sections have been manipulated, but also probably 1 setup car, to deliberately show how "slow" the traffic is. It is quite a common trick in chase sequences, basiclly slow everything up that is surrounding and speed the sound.

Then add the special effects. Cool driving music, screeming engine when low flying. Note the lack of hardly any engine noise when going slow. Also note that any higher speed cornering will at very least chirp the tyres or occasionally squeel around such corners - unless he had hot race tyres on... which he probably didn't :? :?

Still a cool vid though .

Someone should Vid the run from an 6 or XT this year... :D
Chris'88 WR XT AX7 Turbo 4WD, 5 speed,
Full EJ20T WRX Running gear,
Full 3" exhaust. Jap spec ECU, TMIC,
Gen III GT brakes + Eibach coilovers 5 lug swap & kit(http://www.crossbredperformance.com) with 17"STI rims... and other great stuff
Fury
Guru

Postby Moodybluesr on Tue May 08, 2007 8:22 pm

So we got a new service manager at Saturn; he was the old parts manager... basically told me the old guy was blowing smoke up my ass for the past three months. I was supposed to go full time next week now that school is out, but it's not going to happen. There's just not enough work, which I had been suspecting pretty much all along (I got three tickets yesterday, all oil changes). So Saturday is my last day there, and I left on very amicable terms. The upside to all this is that it looks very likely that I WILL be attending the meet this year. Needless to say I am not wholly disappointed losing this job. :D
Jim
My eBay feedback
2003 WRX wagon
2002 Dyna Super Glide Sport
Moodybluesr

Postby Huck369 on Tue May 08, 2007 8:29 pm

Moodybluesr wrote:So we got a new service manager at Saturn; he was the old parts manager... basically told me the old guy was blowing smoke up my ass for the past three months. I was supposed to go full time next week now that school is out, but it's not going to happen. There's just not enough work, which I had been suspecting pretty much all along (I got three tickets yesterday, all oil changes). So Saturday is my last day there, and I left on very amicable terms. The upside to all this is that it looks very likely that I WILL be attending the meet this year. Needless to say I am not wholly disappointed losing this job. :D

Well....congrats, and condolences........not sure weather to be sad or glad for you.....but definitely glad you'll be able to go to the Dragon :!: :!:

( I really need to get off my butt and get some work done on FrankenWedge....he's just been sitting in the garage collecting dust..... :? )
Huck
Subaru Ambassador
08 Outback Wagon
09 Forester X Premium
Huck369

Postby Jeffast on Thu May 10, 2007 12:30 am

Moodybluesr wrote:So we got a new service manager at Saturn; he was the old parts manager... basically told me the old guy was blowing smoke up my ass for the past three months. I was supposed to go full time next week now that school is out, but it's not going to happen. There's just not enough work, which I had been suspecting pretty much all along (I got three tickets yesterday, all oil changes). So Saturday is my last day there, and I left on very amicable terms. The upside to all this is that it looks very likely that I WILL be attending the meet this year. Needless to say I am not wholly disappointed losing this job. :D

congrats jim
in between failures

91 xt6 just enough eg33
99 mazda miata
Jeffast
Post-itute

PreviousNext

Return to Subaru XT discussions