Windshield replacement

Forum for Subaru XT and/or XT6 owners

Moderators: Hocrest, Myxalplyx, Huck369, Moodybluesr, grossgary, john in KY, SUBBYRU89, austinXT6

Windshield replacement

Postby Guest on Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:30 am

It seems I'm developing a corner crack in my front glass. Anybody had it replaced lately. Looking for cost and quality of the glass.

Oh yeah and I think I have a blue tint windshield but am not sure. Anybody know what a white one would come with. Sides are definately bronze.

Postby Huck369 on Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:19 am

I put a Bronze in mine, but the one that was in it was a blue, but my side glasses are bronze, so since I needed a new one I went with the bronze....

It was $225 installed.......the blue one would have been $180 installed
Huck
Subaru Ambassador
88 XT6 5-Speed(Project Car)
08 Outback Wagon
92 SVX LS-Tour (Yellow AWD 5-Speed)
09 Forester X Premium
The Creator of FrankenWedge
Huck369

Postby SUBBYRU89 on Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:49 am

I got mine from Safelite. They were quite cheap and they install it anywhere. Give me a moment to find the information.
Subaru Ambassador
1986 Brat~Black
1989 XT6~Pearl White
(2) 1992 SVX LS-L~Black over Pearl White
2003 Baja~Blue
2005 Forester XS ~ Aspen White
2006 Tribeca~Seacrest Green Metallic
SUBBYRU89
Siren of the Pleades

Postby Hocrest on Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:59 pm

SUBBYRU89 wrote:I got mine from Safelite. They were quite cheap and they install it anywhere. Give me a moment to find the information.

It was $218

www.safelite.com
Dave
-86 Brat ~ Rebecca
-92 SVX LS-L ~ Princess
-03 Baja ~ OutBrat
Hocrest
Veteran

Postby Guest on Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:01 pm

I've heard bad things about the glass safelite uses though? Anybody break one from them? They're listing $218 for bronze, $168 for blue on their site. Wish I could tell what I have on there. Probably won't replace it until it gets a bigger crack though as it seems to be staying at 2 inches now.

Postby Hocrest on Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:05 pm

benebob wrote:I've heard bad things about the glass safelite uses though? Anybody break one from them?

That's who we use for all of the trucks at work, so including Melis's I've used them at least 7 times and have never noticed any problems... One of them did break about 6 months after, but I'm inclined to blame it on the huge rock that hit it :lol:
Dave
-86 Brat ~ Rebecca
-92 SVX LS-L ~ Princess
-03 Baja ~ OutBrat
Hocrest
Veteran

Postby nick_c on Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:08 pm

So do you guys buy the glass and put in in yourself? Is that difficult?
Nick

Former:
1987.5 XT Turbo GL-10
1988 XT6
1996 SVX LSi
nick_c
Veteran

Postby Guest on Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:42 pm

I wouldn't do it myself just because I don't trust it not to leak plus you kinda need to get it right the first time.

When I worked an Manheim Safetlite was one of the can't use glass providers for the higher end as the glass wasn't up to the factory standards if it would break (doesn't ball up like saftey glass should or something like that). That's my only concern.

Postby subeman90 on Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:43 pm

Ben: I used the safelite place out on Columbia Ave. 3 times. 2 at their shop and once mobile. Very satisfied with them and they were very couteous to deal with.
Matt
13 Crosstrek :D 07 Corolla CE ;) 07 Trek 7100 (x2) :)
SubaruJawn wrote:i dont think cuz i got beat up alot in my school days.
subeman90
Guru

Postby Guest on Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:59 pm

Matt they can be as nice as they want but are the gonna be there to pick glass out of my eye when some breeder buggy pulls out in front of me? :)

Postby subeman90 on Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:23 pm

ok then.... don't go to Cindy Rowe. They got windshield glue inside my car. That mad me :(

I really don't think that safelite can sell sub par glass. That would be slightly illegal wouldn't it? you could always buy a used windshield and have someone put it in for you.

I really think what you heard up at the auction is folklore.... I bet they pissed someone off and that put them on the crap list up there. Like there aren't any shady people that do business in Manheim.... oh heck no.... :lol: :shock:
Matt
13 Crosstrek :D 07 Corolla CE ;) 07 Trek 7100 (x2) :)
SubaruJawn wrote:i dont think cuz i got beat up alot in my school days.
subeman90
Guru

Postby grossgary on Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:26 am

nick_c wrote:So do you guys buy the glass and put in in yourself? Is that difficult?

ha ha, yes. very few people have done this before. i don't think anyone here has done it to their own car. there's a guy that just did it over at USMB. i've asked about it before and thought about doing it since i have extra windshields, but at that point i can just pay someone 80 bucks to do it since i already have the glass. they preach that the glass is a very substantial part of the structure in terms of stability and safety so best to leave it to a professional (but that's what they say about ALL car repairs depending who you talk to!!!).
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Re: Windshield replacement

Postby RhodyM20 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:16 am

Old topic but related question.

Someone on the XT6 Facebook page said the wiper transmission has to come out for windshield replacement. Given this is one of the more sensitive / prone to breakage areas of the XT, is this true?

I'm basically wondering if Safelite can be trusted to work around this area without damaging it. My windshield is heavily scratched (honestly, I do not how how in the hell the previous owner f*cked this up so bad) and hard to see out of...but I don't want to see my wiper transmission damaged as a result.

Thanks in advance.
1980 320/6; 1987 325is; 1981 'Yota Hiace; Sold: 1988 XT6
RhodyM20

Postby crazyhorse_001 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:32 pm

No, they cant work around it. They need access to the entire perimeter of the glass. The trans comes off simply enough. One nut on the arm itself, another under it, and 2 phillips screws in the trans itself. What breaks is the trans where it attaches to the pivot shaft. Pull the arm and give it an overnight soak in your favorite penetating oil. (May wanna soak the phillips screws too) Then lightly tap on the pivot shaft with a hammer and punch. The more fun part of the job is the a-pillar trims. You need to be careful because they bend very easy. I think i have a spare set if need arises.
Nought but by the grace of God
Don't run out of talent, grip, and road all at the same time
'88 XT GL FWD/5spd, Gunmetal Grey "Little Bit"
'91 XT6 FWD/4eat, Silver, lost the battle with the the rust monster
crazyhorse_001
Veteran

Postby grossgary on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:53 pm

I'd pull it myself so they don't have to. Doubtful they have a better chance of not breaking it than I do.
Or have a spare one or pictures on hand so they know what the process is as it's not immediately obvious nor do I think it's a common set up. I'm sure we could post some pics though I'm out of town at the moment.

none of the trans have useable grease left in them by now. They'll last the life of the car if you regrease it now, that's what makes them bind. That's another reason I'd consider doing it myself so I can regrease it. Or have your favorite talented shop/mechanic have at it. windshield shops swap glass crazy FAST, I'd rather. the average guy is likely to be in routine crank it out in 30 minutes mode and not take the time needed.
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Next

Return to Subaru XT discussions