Aftermarket rims that fit our cars?

Forum for Subaru XT and/or XT6 owners

Moderators: Hocrest, Myxalplyx, Huck369, Moodybluesr, grossgary, john in KY, SUBBYRU89, austinXT6

Postby austinXT6 on Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:35 pm

[Phil, feel free to use zombie images here]

Okay, resurrecting an old thread here.

I just took my car to get tires two days ago and they took the old ones off and put the same size on. No brainer, right?

The new tires are rubbing on the rear control arms and the front struts! The tire guys are baffled because they're the same size supposedly: 205/55/16s

I called Manny to see what size his Khumos are and tried to get the dude to order me a set. Said he couldn't get those (:roll:), but he'd get me a set of Yokohama AS430s. Supposedly that's an "outstanding" tire. :? Anyway, they're 205/45/16s. So we'll see.

Thanks for the help Manny - wish I could be sportin' some Khumo shoes, but...

-a
JAX, FL
Daily driver: light blue 2011 Subaru Forester "XT" (does that count?)
Project car: mostly black '97 SVX LSi
RIP: Laguna blue '96 SVX LSi

RIP:
Pearl White '89 4WD 5 speed
╔°══════°╗
FLT SIX
╚°══════°╝
austinXT6
Site Admin

Postby DerFahrer on Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:01 pm

I've heard good things about the AS430's, as a good all-season tire with grip comparable to a more sporty tire.

I think my Legacy is getting some on the wheels you gave me Austin...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK
Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb
DerFahrer
Moderator Emeritus

Postby subdav on Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:24 am

I bought Konig "incident" rims that are 15" 5x100 and put 205/55/15 Yokohama v4s. They are close to 24" tall and are pretty wide. 205/60/14 were listed at 23.7" tall. I wanted to reduce my rear ratio a little bit also.

You can always go to tirerack.com and check out all the specs and reviews you want on almost any tire.
dave
subdav

Postby grossgary on Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:15 am

strange indeed. i have WRX rims and stock tires that fit without issue. the only difference being yours is FWD. can't imagine that should matter. are they the same brand tire? mine are the wrx stock bridgestone potenza's RE92's or whatever they are. seems like it has to be brand or FWD related.

really weird that your rear tires are rubbing though.
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby Huck369 on Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:20 am

The FWD sits MUCH lower in the rear than a AWD...this could be the problem....
Huck
Subaru Ambassador
88 XT6 5-Speed(Project Car)
08 Outback Wagon
92 SVX LS-Tour (Yellow AWD 5-Speed)
09 Forester X Premium
The Creator of FrankenWedge
Huck369

Postby avatar382 on Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:18 am

My Kumho's are wearing on the inside in spite of perfect alignment. I hear negative camber is common after a coilover suspension swap...

Once it comes time to replace them, I think I'm gonna go for either the Eagle F1 GS-D3 if I'm ballin' (they're expensive!) or Yokohama Parada Spec-2 or Hankook Ventus.

The Kumho's have been great, though. Grippy, and I've squeezed about... erm... nearly 30,000 miles out of them? On a Z rated tire with two dragon trips?

Of course, I drive real slow :lol:
95' Nissan 240SX
Yellow bicycle

(Soon, an XT will grace this sig again!)
Veteran

Postby nick_c on Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:55 am

Austin, we live in FL. Why the 'all-season' tire?
Nick

Former:
1987.5 XT Turbo GL-10
1988 XT6
1996 SVX LSi
nick_c
Veteran

Postby austinXT6 on Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:05 pm

Yeah, Dave, I think I'll do the Tirerack thing next time too. That's what Manny did, and I love his Khumos.

Problem is, I waited until my tires were near balding and my wife INSISTED I go to get new tires at 4:00pm Sunday. The place closed at 5:00. So I go there and tell 'em I need new tires. They started looking in the computer and I told them that the rims were from an '01 Impreza. (Shoulda been a red flag to them to make sure the tires I had weren't wearing funny since they were on "aftermarket" rims) So they said it should be ready by 5:00 (when they close on Sunday). So we ran some errands and came back at exactly 5:00 - the car was ready and I was happy... until I paid and started driving away. I thought, "Man, these tires are loud - I guess it's the tread pattern. Oh well, I guess that's what you get when you buy cheap tires."

The next morning I started out of my driveway for work and noticed the right rear was squeaking. Hmmmm... that ain't good. Well, I had to get to work so I drove on, and the squeaking seemed to go away... until I got to the parking lot at work. Then later when I picked up my kids from school I noticed that it also was making noises at the other corners. "Not good", I thought. So I took it back to the place and said, "You guys put new tires on here yesterday and now it's making odd noises - can you take a look at it for me?"

After a brief test drive and putting it up on the lift the guy says, "Well the noise is your tires rubbing on various parts of the car. They're rubbing on the rear control arms in the back and on the struts up front."

We verified that the tires were the same size as the ones that had been on there before (205/55/16s) so it was sort of a mystery. My other tires didn't seem to rub or make any noise. I had NEVER noticed any wear on their sidewalls whenever I was under the car or changing brake pads or anything like that.

Long story short, I talked to the manager yesterday who said he'd put some Yokohama AS430s on it in a 205/45/16 size. I talked to him about the price and all and he basically said he'd cut about $25 per tire off the price and not charge me labor. Cool. BUT, I could have sworn I was just then going to pay for the difference in price per tire or about $160 more. Uh uh. Turns out I had to pay for BOTH sets of tires! Granted the second set came at a substantial discount, but still... shouldn't they have checked to make sure the first set fit properly?! I mean just a simple hand spin of each wheel just to make sure nothing is binding or rubbing or caught on anything (just as a general safety check ya know?). If the guy had done that with the first set of tires, they would never had had an inch of treadwear. He could have said, "Say, ya know those tires don't seem to be fitting right, are you sure that's the right size?". I would have DEFINITELY not put them on there and I could have saved over $350. At the very least I could have put my old tires back on, driven away, and ordered some Khumos like Manny's and had them mount them for a fee. Now I've had to pay for two sets of tires and am shy almost $800. :x

They told me that Sun Tire sometimes buys used tires and that I might be able to sell them to those guys. Chances are I'll get less than $40 a pop for 'em, I bet. :x

Anyway, just thought I'd vent/update.

Now I'm running some nice quiet Yokohama AS430s - but they came at nearly double the price. :evil:

-a
JAX, FL

RIP:
╔°══════°╗
FLT SIX
╚°══════°╝
austinXT6
Site Admin

Postby austinXT6 on Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:08 pm

nick_c wrote:Austin, we live in FL. Why the 'all-season' tire?

Price I guess. I don't know much about tires except that I don't need snow tires and I know how they're measured. That's about it. I wouldn't know an all season tire from a "summer" tire if one bit me. Actually I think I did just get bitten by a set of all season tires! :evil:

-a
JAX, FL

RIP:
╔°══════°╗
FLT SIX
╚°══════°╝
austinXT6
Site Admin

Postby grossgary on Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:14 pm

indeed that sucks austin.

try posting them on craigslist for a few weeks? it's free at least.
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby austinXT6 on Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:24 pm

Yeah, but I wonder about shipping costs involved in something like that... would I be able to "market them" at a reasonable price and still expect someone to pay shipping? I know it depends on their location, weight, and all that, but really - I wonder if it'd be appealing to anyone. They're not BADLY rubbed, but they do have a mark on the inside sidewall. They've got a total of about 35 miles on 'em.
austinXT6
Site Admin

Postby Huck369 on Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:44 pm

Could be that someone on here might want them....as there are a few members with 16" wheels.....and most aftermarket wheels will set the tire farther out than stock Subaru wheels....plus, they may not rub on a AWD XT6 as they set a little higher....
Huck
Subaru Ambassador
08 Outback Wagon
09 Forester X Premium
Huck369

Postby Huck369 on Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:45 pm

You could have always "Shimmed the wheels out a mm or 2 to clear whatever they where rubbing on...
Huck
Subaru Ambassador
08 Outback Wagon
09 Forester X Premium
Huck369

Postby austinXT6 on Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:12 pm

Yeah, I thought about using spacers or something, but I needed a solution right then basically.
austinXT6
Site Admin

Postby avatar382 on Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:01 pm

I think it's crap that they charged you for two sets of tires.

Utter crap.

They mounted them without checking if they fit? Maybe if you had said you came back within 30 min but they were closed or something like that... Man, if you purchased on a credit card, I'd consider doing a chargeback...

In any case, you can sell them on eBay. Someone will buy them, and the buyer would pay for shipping. Figure 80-100 to ship all four. What tires are they again? Kumho Supra 712s? If they are stock WRX (205/55/16) size, plenty of people would LOVE to get rid of the crappy stock WRX tires for something better. You should recover at least 50-70% of what the cost you, even counting eBay fees.

You could also post them in the for sale at NASIOC or i-club and make even more money. I bet you they'll sell. What does the mark look like? Maybe you could rub it out?
95' Nissan 240SX
Yellow bicycle

(Soon, an XT will grace this sig again!)
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Subaru XT discussions