Fuel Injectors: Replace? Clean? Or just SHOVE 'Em back in?

Forum for Subaru XT and/or XT6 owners

Moderators: Hocrest, Myxalplyx, Huck369, Moodybluesr, grossgary, john in KY, SUBBYRU89, austinXT6

Fuel Injectors: Replace? Clean? Or just SHOVE 'Em back in?

Postby MooseCarAudio on Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:12 am

Ok.... First of all... the car has Done about 300,000kms....(I think)... No idea if they are the original injectors, or if they have been replaced at some point.
Second... They have been sitting in the boot of my car since I Removed the engine about 18 months ago.

When the car WAS driving ... for the limited time I did drive it.... they seemed to be in fine operation..... When the car was at Idle, there was no sputtering or fluctuation in RPM... (I have no idea if that helps in the pre-diagnostic here...lol) I will post Pics of them..... (again once I can work out how again)

Should I Pay to have them Cleaned and tested Ultrasonically? a Friend of mine advised me that the going rate is about $20 per injector....
Or should I soak them in Petrol... Injector cleaner... or some other solvent.... and should I scrub them clean with a soft clean toothbrush to get them clean?

Or should I Just Shove them Back in the rig... ready to go back in to the car when that day comes...( and that day is a day between now and October 6th....I now have a solid deadline for the car to be running and back on the street. There is a Big Car meet here on the 7th of October.... that I flat out REFUSE not to be Ready for!

Advise please....

White 1988 Vortex XT Turbo 4WD (The one I'm currently working on)

White 1987 Vortex XT FWD NA (the one I crashed)

Silver 1987 Vortex XT Turbo 4WD (This one I call MAXX) He's got an EJ20G from a Liberty RS

MOOSE CAR AUDIO
MooseCarAudio
Veteran

Re: Fuel Injectors: Replace? Clean? Or just SHOVE 'Em back in?

Postby john in KY on Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:32 am

I'd vote for the professionally cleaning option. Not only cleaned but flow tested. Any bad ones easily identified.
john in KY

Postby MooseCarAudio on Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:48 pm

This is the option I was leaning toward as well.... As Much as I'd Like to save the $80.... I now know what happens when you try and save money when you shouldn't.... (You RUIN your perfectly good Turbo) *sigh* Costs are Mounting...... but what can you do? I believe the $20 per injector includes flow testing.
Just "ADD IT TO THE LIST!!!!!!"

Thanks again John

White 1988 Vortex XT Turbo 4WD (The one I'm currently working on)

White 1987 Vortex XT FWD NA (the one I crashed)

Silver 1987 Vortex XT Turbo 4WD (This one I call MAXX) He's got an EJ20G from a Liberty RS

MOOSE CAR AUDIO
MooseCarAudio
Veteran

Postby Johnny T on Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:17 am

Hey Moose,

have you tried using wynns injector cleaner, I have been using that in my commodore when it was running pretty rough and now runns pretty smooth :)

Hope that helps
1987 Subaru Vortex XT Turbo 4wd 88kw of FUN!
Custom black interior and a now running ea82t engine, new front lip spoiler, rear spoiler, XT6 Hubs
Johnny T

Return to Subaru XT discussions