New vibration

Forum for Subaru XT and/or XT6 owners

Moderators: Hocrest, Myxalplyx, Huck369, Moodybluesr, grossgary, john in KY, SUBBYRU89, austinXT6

New vibration

Postby john in KY on Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:42 pm

My 95 wagon is starting to shake. First noticed it a few days ago. Strange vibration as it begins around 10mph and seems to improve with speed. Only slightly noticeable at 40mph. My feeling is it is coming from the back half of the car. Car has close to 300K. Tires are fairly new. Changed the oil today and crawled around under the car and couldn't detect anything broken/torn/damaged except the rear differential cross member is badly rusted. My guess is the driveshaft is failing. With 300k that can be expected. Anyone have any other ideas? Thinking I'll pull the back haft next week and see if that does anything.
john in KY

Re: New vibration

Postby grossgary on Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:54 am

Sounds like you're on it John. If the ujoints don't have play, Sometimes you can see a thin small concentric silver circle around one of the ujoints where the metal has been warn. And then sometimes there's nothing visible but taking it off will reveal a seized joint.

It's fairly rhythmic and consistent? So probably not engine or trans mount? I've never seen those make noise so not sure what that would sound like but probably not rythmic and constant.

You think you'll get new, used, or install new ujoints? I might have a used shaft I can send you If I didn't scrap it yet.

Good luck!
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby john in KY on Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:36 am

Installed the FWD fuse and the vibration is gone. Leaning toward replacing the joints.
john in KY

Postby grossgary on Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:30 pm

I ordered Rockford joints but they're pricey. Like $30 or $40 each. Someone years ago posted cheaper options too but I can't recall brand name or source. Rock auto? Maybe? Can't recall if that was on here or USMB.

I cut them out and a machine shop charged like $100 or $200 to install them.

Want me to send a spare shaft so you can work on the shaft without removing yours?
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby john in KY on Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:13 pm

Thanks for the offer but just returned from the local pick-a-part and now have another shaft which looks/feels pretty good. Good chance I'll just swap shafts and see what happens. At the yard I stumbled onto an 85 XT turbo. Pretty trashed but pulled the rear discs, those windshield trim pieces and Kevin will be happy, got the glove box lock.

Just curious but how did you cut out the joints?
john in KY

Postby grossgary on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:44 am

Nice finds!

Sawzall
cut the joint to pieces inside the yoke
then hammer/grind/chisel the staked in caps until they can be tapped inward

From there the yoke would need cleaned up to accept the new ujoints
The new ujoints joints go inside the yoke without end caps
Then push the end cap through the outside of the yoke, through the yoke hole onto the ujoints
Then a clip is placed on the ujoint cap on the inside of the yoke so it can't slide back out.
If that makes sense, I'm struggling to describe it?!
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby john in KY on Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:56 pm

Well, it was the driveshaft. The front yoke was in the process of tearing itself apart. Removing the original was no picnic. Every nut and bolt was "rust-welded". Only snapped one bolt. Thank the Lord there are impact guns. The exhaust mid pipe has to be unbolted to get to all the bolts.
john in KY

Return to Subaru XT discussions