XT6 tear down - activity and guidance

Forum for Subaru XT and/or XT6 owners

Moderators: Hocrest, Myxalplyx, Huck369, Moodybluesr, grossgary, john in KY, SUBBYRU89, austinXT6

Re: XT6 tear down - activity and guidance

Postby grossgary on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:09 am

Great. Good job finally getting it.

The blue thing up front is the wiper timer and is a beast to replace as you can imagine. It's ratio of frustration to apparent simplicity ( it's *right* there!!!) is high! If you're wiper ever freaks out electronically it's usually that.

The FSM is occasionally lacking on these older models but is usually good and the best resource available unfortunately.
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby Giggs on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:38 am

Thanks Gary. Yes, I recall it was stamped windshield wiper or words to that effect. I was just so glad to get the console out that I forgot to take the time lo look further into what the blue box was actually all about. I'm so close to getting the car in for paint now. My guy was going to take it in a few weeks back but I wasn't ready and then he had insurance jobs in the queue. He's telling me now maybe Monday so I want to be ready. I'm still having a trouble with a couple of oil leaks dripping form the front and rear of the valve cover on the right. At least that's the best I can figure. I tightened then up a bit more a few days back after I replaced the two fuel injectors and it seemed to be a bit less but it's not gone. I really don't want to tighten them any more. I don't have a torque wrench and I suspect from what I have seen in the stores (I look at them every now and then and wonder if I should get one) that even if I had one it wouldn't fit into the space available there anyway. While there is more space to maneuver on the right side, there are still a few tight spots where I can't imaging a torque wrench would fit in any event. I've found a gear wrench (very cool. I just bought a set of 7 metric.) works great there. Anyway, my thinking for now is to remove the cover again, pull the gasket, put a bead of silicone in, replace the gasket and try again. Thoughts?
Giggs

Postby crazyhorse_001 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:36 am

Its probably not the valve cover. Its probably the cam carrier. That "can" be done in the car, but MUCH easier with the engine out.
Nought but by the grace of God
Don't run out of talent, grip, and road all at the same time
'88 XT GL FWD/5spd, Gunmetal Grey "Little Bit"
'91 XT6 FWD/4eat, Silver, lost the battle with the the rust monster
crazyhorse_001
Veteran

Postby Giggs on Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:53 pm

Whoa.... I've had a few ups and downs with this car so far. This is definitely a big down. But I do appreciate the info. Have to take the good with the bad.

I've seen oil stains along what looks like a silicone seal a couple inches back from the valve cover seal. I'm thinning that's the area you're referring to - The next section behind the valve cover. I haven't really noticed the drips from there but I had wondered (and worried as I wondered) about that. Figured (hoping???) it was brown because of oil leaking from elsewhere. Is it possible that it's leaking from the top of that same area of seal and coming around to the bottom. Then again, best I've been able to figure is that the actual oil drips have been on lobes close to the ends of the valve cover.
Giggs

Postby grossgary on Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:55 am

crazyhorse - why do you think it's the cam carriers instead of valve cover gaskets?
can you post a picture?

the valve cover gaskets leak frequently and it seems like he noticed some difference after tightening.
if they're old and brittle (which they usually are) so be careful tigthening them, it can also make them worse.

don't do it until you get a 10mm ratcheting wrench makes the lower rear bolts much easier on most Subarus and basically all the 6 cylinder ones.
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby Huck369 on Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:15 am

Did you install new valve cover gaskets? they are available from most parts places....but is you already installed new one, then a bead of silicone won't hurt anything, and worth a try.

You don't want to "over-tighten" them, as the have been know to snap off....and it shouldn't require mush torque to seal it up
Huck
Subaru Ambassador
88 XT6 5-Speed(Project Car)
08 Impreza 2.5I 5-Speed
92 SVX LS-Tour (Yellow AWD 5-Speed)
09 Forester X Premium
The Creator of FrankenWedge
Huck369

Postby Giggs on Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:04 pm

Thanks Huck. I'm not tightening anymore. Yes, I did install new gaskets last month after I pulled, cleaned and painted the covers. Left side is tight and dry. I actually looked under the car again tonight. I'm pretty much convinced the leaks are from the valve cover. I'm going to pull the cover, clean it and where it sits and then re-set the cover with silicone. Then I'll keep my fingers crossed.

On another note, I noticed my Hazard switch worked fine notwithstanding my signals not working at all. As I said fuse was fine. While I was moving the turn signal arm tonight I saw a brief blink of a signal. So I manouvered the signal arm again a bit more deliberate with slow and pointed pressure. In doing so, I was able to get the signals (both directions) to flash. They of course flashed quickly because the signal lights have been removed. Best I can figure then is that the switch in the turn signal lever itself is the problem. I figure I need to pull it and clean it up. Problem is I'm concerned with all I've read before that I should want to avoid having to remove the steering column covers. Ugh.

I also checked the sending unit. I jumped the pos/negative connections on the top of the sender itself in the trunk and watched the neefle on the fuel guage rise to full which is where the fuel level is actually at is in the tank. So, I'm satisfied that I don't have a wiring problem from the gauge to the sender but a problem with the sender itself. Going to pull the sender and take a closer look at the unit on the weekend.

Any thoughts/advice always welcome. Giggs
Giggs

Postby john in KY on Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:14 pm

You don't have to touch the steering column to access the combination switch. Just pull the steering wheel.

EDIT: Erroneous information. The cover does need to be removed. My bad.
john in KY

Postby Giggs on Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:06 pm

Oh, very cool (I think). Any special tools needed to remove the steering wheel? I am compiling quite a set. I have the service/repair manuals. I'll of course check them out but like I've mentioned, I have found the instruction in the manuald lacking at times as compared to the information I've received on this forum.
Giggs

Postby Giggs on Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:58 am

So, back in February Mr. carzyhorse said "Please for the love of god, dont disturb the dash trim or steering column covers unless its absolutely necessary!. They are both impossible to find."

IT's now would appear to have become necessary for me to disturb the steering column covers so I can repair the turning signal switch.

Any advise before I start?
Giggs

Postby grossgary on Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:32 am

be nice to try to get it to properly seat without silicone. i've seen the gaskets get pinched before when they pop out of the groove, though usually it's a significant leak but i presume it could be lighter depending how it happens. it's preferrable to clean up the valve cover groove, cam carrier mating surface (where the gasket sits) and reinstall the gasket first, before trying silicone. passengers side is easy enough i think i'd try to get the gasket seated properly without silicone. drivers side is more annoying, i can see wanting to only do that as few times as possible.

i don't know if we can exaggerate how easily the cover and surrounds break - it's crazy. i don't know how many i've removed and i've cracked a bunch thinking i was being careful. you can't overdo careful on these things.

i think i wolud try to do it when it's warm? rubber and plastic is more brittle in the cold. i've never noticed a difference with the steering cover and dash surround but plenty of other parts, so i'd probably lean that way here.
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby john in KY on Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:05 pm

After removing the 4 screws and the 2 halves still do not want to separate, loosely reinstall some or all of the screws and use the screwdriver along with a blow from your hand to pop the 2 halves apart. When reinstalling, don't over torque the screws. Very easy to snap off what the screw screws into. Did you find and replace the flasher unit? I would verify that part is good before messing with the column cover. Would also insure power is making it to the flasher.
john in KY

Postby Giggs on Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:29 pm

Again there's some great information their. Thanks John and Gary. I will refrain from using silicone until after I try to reset the gasket first. That might be the problem. As for the Flasher unit, I don't know where to look. I suspect it might be in the manual. But in case it isn't, can you tell me where to look for that? I know I haven't checked it. I didn't even know such a thing existed.
Giggs

Postby john in KY on Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:56 pm

Location should be in the FSM if you have the full set. Probably close to the fuse panel and probably a rectangular black box with a small bracket.

I wonder what could be learned/damage if you backed-fed 12 volts in the turn signal circuit? Just apply 12V at one of turn signal harness plugs for example the RF turn signal. Would the RR turn signal flash?
john in KY

Postby Giggs on Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:48 pm

Thanks John. I have a complete manual set. I'm going to try and find a few hours to work on the car tomorrow and will start with the manual before heading out to the garage. Not sure I'll know what to do with the flasher unit if I find it but first things first. I assume it's not a repair item but rather must be replaced. If nothing there, I'll try the turning signal 12V feed and see where that gets me. Cheers
Giggs

PreviousNext

Return to Subaru XT discussions