XT6 tear down - activity and guidance

Forum for Subaru XT and/or XT6 owners

Moderators: Hocrest, Myxalplyx, Huck369, Moodybluesr, grossgary, john in KY, SUBBYRU89, austinXT6

Re: XT6 tear down - activity and guidance

Postby Giggs on Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:52 pm

May I start with an expletive? ****!!! Drove me crazy. Idk, I must have missed something. From almost my first post I was curious about how to get the damn squirter out of the bumper because it was broken. Looked and poked and pulled and finally figured the whole assembly had to come of. For a damn nozzle. 'Seriously' (I thought to myself). Now don't get me wrong, I hadn't tried to remove one before so I figured I'm just uneducated. And as you know, one thing did lead to another and I removed all that I felt I could without getting myself into too much trouble (yet still enough to get into trouble if not careful). But then, I don't know if I mentioned here that I cracked the end of my intake hose (hardly a hose - it's like a rock) at the engine. It was on the seem and right where it seals so no big deal upon advise from a member who said silicone when you re-install. But here was the problem... Body shop tells me they remove the bumper cover to paint properly. Well, seems reasonable. Sure, just send the car with the assembly off and let them do their thing. But wait... I don't know if this car is going to run. I've taken so mush s*** off of it and I had problems before with it shaking that wasn't solved with the tune up. And the car was leaking coolant. So in addition to removing, cleaning and painting and those components and lines, some things have been done including replacing a few hoses, cleaned and tightened others, changed some o-rings and clamps and of course had that harmonic balancer stitch welded. I have to see if this car is going to run and if so determine if it's running properly. So, I have to put the CAI and filter box etc. back on to find out. But wait... I don't want to have to remove that CAI tube again. It's already cracked and I'll no doubt make it beigger next time. So , I thought well, maybe I'll just start it up and let it run for just a bit. Dahhh (I'm such a fool) it won't run properly without the MAS. S*** The MAS in the airbpox. So I have to install that. But wait, if I do that, I'll never be able to install the washer fluid reservoir because the bolts will be under and behind the air box. And of course if I install the washer reservoir, I'll never be able to get the intake to the airbox that is under the fender and in front of the washer tank in. Like I said in the beginning ****!!! IF that blasted hose/tube rock hard air intake between the box and the engine wasn't so un-user friendly, no big deal. At least this is how I saw it. So, what to do. Well, there was really no option in my opinion since I only wanted to install that tube once. The front bumper assembly including cover had to go back on. Now, I am wanting a very good and proper paint job. And like I said I am told the cover needs to be off to do that. So, I had to become joe auto body man. Haha. No, F*** (Sorry about that. I couldn't hold it in any longer). So, I fought with those nonsensicle phillips fasteners (OH ya I stripped half of them. Had to use vice grips and a channel lock to get half of them out) and pulled the cover off so I could clean, sand and prime that sucker. But wait.... Should I have done more? YES!!! The next day I could see the primer wasn't adhered to certain areas of the cover. The black plastic area. Guess what, sanding isn't good enough. What???? No, idiot... You need to sand and apply an adhesive for that area. So, after I wasted more time as Joe the body man, I used the damn adhesive and primed it again. WHY? Why Giggs are you doing all of this??? Because of the stupid squirters. That's why. Because one needed to be removed and replaced. I should have just filled the hole in. But no, I even found a replacement. Repaired the crack in the tube and installed it. Now, you can't put the bumper back on because the dumb large Philips (useless) heads are half stripped. So I find some M6 bolts that will work, clean and paint the mounting brackets (yes all of them - even the ones under the cover to affix to the fender. Like I have nothing better to do) and paint the ends of the bumper cover and the fender so they are properly painted before the bumper goes back on. UGHH. And now, I can reassemble the air intake under the fender , washer reservoir, air filter box all because I only want to install the air hose/tube just once.. Silicone the crack and wait a day, tape the end and clamp it down. Start it up and.... Thanks the good Lord she fired up. But wait.... The car still shakes and shimmies. F*** (I'll try not to make it a habit). Didn't I do a tune up? Yes. Didn't I weld that harmonic balancer? Yes. Didn't I (me and a friend who knows what he's doing) change the timing belts and serpentine belts and set the timing? Yes. Then WTH? Checked the wires for firing and #4 and 6 are doing nothing. Pulled the plugs (they're new of course) One is clean and dry and the other one looks like it was relaxing. Checked the pressure. It's good at 95+ (So my buddy tells me). He concludes it's the fuel injectors. Removed those two. And yep, nothing happening there. SO, I've ordered two. Oh, and btw, the back ally guy who checked my Rad for leaks is an idiot. Still leaks form the same location. Okay. No swearing this time. I was suspicious about what I was getting when I brought it to that guy. Going to take a few days off while I wait for the injectors to come in. Then get at 'er again...
Giggs

Postby john in KY on Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:24 pm

If it gets to the point where you can't get the engine to run right, I have one stored with only 11K miles on it.
john in KY

Postby Giggs on Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:55 pm

Wow! Like new. Thanks for the offer. Let's see how I make out after installing the two injectors. Fortunately I have a friend who's been great about coming by and giving me instruction. Between him and the forum members I've managed thus far. Not sure about installing an entire engine. By that point I may have worn out all my welcomes. Cheers
Giggs

Postby john in KY on Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:52 pm

Instead of replacing 2 injectors, I would have all 6 sonic cleaned and flow test. There are companies out there that perform this and the cost isn't too bad.
john in KY

Postby Giggs on Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:39 pm

You know, I wondered about that. I asked my buddy if I should just get 6 rebuilds and be done with it. He said "no, just get the two". You can appreciate I have to defer to him. It's simply not my Domaim. But that was my thinking. Pull them all and get 'em tested, rebuilt and replaced. Meh. Like I said, he's been there for me each time I've been in over my head. But I am obliged to you for your response. I'll have to let this play out. Giggs
Giggs

Postby Giggs on Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:31 pm

About the H6 plate that sits on top of the engine. Mine looked alright but not the best. You could see that over the years the mechanicas obviously found copmfort in putting their tools there. Best I can figure is the plate was clear coated so the chips weren't going to wipe away or be gone with a bit of steel wool. So I figured I'd sand it. Used a 400 then a 600 grit paper by hand. Not looking so good. Was thinking to use my hand sander but figured I better check in with those who are learned in such things. Any advise on how to make it look good without losing the black lettering below the rasied aluminum would be appreciated.
Giggs

Postby Giggs on Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:33 pm

Here' s the plate now since I started msessing with it.
Attachments
H6 - Engine plate.jpg
Here' s the plate now since I started msessing with it.
Giggs

Postby Giggs on Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:41 pm

And for what it's worth every time I try to upload a picture of my magnificantly primed front bumper I get this message "The image file you tried to attach is invalid." one member suggested I use photo bucjket but it seemed to me my problem was resolved by moving from my phone to my PC which has allowed me to uplaod some pictures. Bu tnow I must have showed a little too much of my naked car becaue it's "Invalid" Meh...
Giggs

Postby Giggs on Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:30 pm

A couple items in the back of my mind I lost sight of:

1. Fuel guage doesn't work. I checked the fuses (fine) and changed the sending unit. It was a used sending unit (from a Sunny I believe). It looked and fit identical to what wad in there. Components were mobile and free flowing. I think I mentioned earlier the one that was in the tank when I got it was petrified. I changed the tank, Fuel pump and fuel line under the hood. The othe4 guages in the cluster are operating fine. Something else I could check?
2. Turning signals. Not working when I brought it home. Checked fuse and it's fine. Suppose it could be bulbs but thought it was odd no signal either way was working. Anybother thoughts here?
Giggs

Postby grossgary on Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:49 am

1. Very rare. I would guess you can ground or power the gauge itself and make sure it responds/moves. FSM probably shows how to do that. Usually just ground a pin or give a pin 12 volts.

2. I think huck fixed one by replacing the flasher unit. It may be under the steering column shroud.

********the steering column shroud and dash surround trim break if you sneeze be very very careful removing them.
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby Huck369 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:28 pm

Are you sure the fuel gauge sending unit wasn't from a Digital Dash Car, as the sender is different for the digital dash...
Huck
Subaru Ambassador
88 XT6 5-Speed(Project Car)
08 Impreza 2.5I 5-Speed
92 SVX LS-Tour (Yellow AWD 5-Speed)
09 Forester X Premium
The Creator of FrankenWedge
Huck369

Postby Giggs on Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:33 pm

Thanks guys. I'll pull the invoice on that sending unit I bought and see what I can find out. I'm nervous as hell to pull those covers. I have been trying to find a cluster bezel for quite a while that isn't broken for my GL-10 in storage. No luck so far.
Giggs

Postby john in KY on Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:02 pm

The flasher is usually part of the fuse panel. I'd look there first before pulling the trim pieces. Turn signals may not be working because of a ground wire. Use a test light at one of the lights and verify power is making it to the light. Little leary about running 12v to the gas gauge. Lots of vehicles use 5v.
john in KY

Postby Giggs on Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:13 pm

Thanks John. Will check this out on the weekend when I plan to get back into things.
Giggs

Postby Giggs on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:17 pm

No electrical work this weekend yet. Did find time to pull the rad and hopefully repair the leak. Seemed to me it was leaking at the seem between what I've come to learn is where the tank joins the core. Was reading a bit and understand there's a gasket in there on each end and it can dry out and create space at the seam. Borrowed a tool made to press the aluminum tabs together but after doing that, I really didn't feel it pressed in very much so I grabbed my vice grips, setting the gap just a tad tighter than the spacing was at #1 on the rad tool and pressed each tab again. Haven't installed the rad just yet to check the results. Fuel injectors are in now too but have to wait to hook up the rad and hoses before I can find out how the car will run. I also took a bit of time to sand the H6 plate that sits on top the intake. Used 150, 320, 400, 500 and then applied some polish. Came out decent.
Giggs

PreviousNext

Return to Subaru XT discussions