XT6 tear down - activity and guidance

Forum for Subaru XT and/or XT6 owners

Moderators: Hocrest, Myxalplyx, Huck369, Moodybluesr, grossgary, john in KY, SUBBYRU89, austinXT6

Re: XT6 tear down - activity and guidance

Postby RhodyM20 on Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:01 am

Nice progress. Car looks great. Good benchmark for the rest of us.

Jeff
1988 XT6; 1980 320/6; 1987 325is; 1981 'Yota Hiace
RhodyM20

Postby Giggs on Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:20 pm

Thanks Rhody. Greatly appreciated. Good luck with your undertaking.
Giggs

Postby Giggs on Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:26 pm

What's going on?

So, A couple months back my niece and her new husband from Korea (She was over there working for a few years) decided he needed a car but being of modest means and thinking I knew something about cars asked me to find him something. I showed him a few cars and when I mentioned there was this Subaru Outback that looked pretty good but was hit in the back, he said, hey, I really like Subaru's! So, I thought of all you guys and figured I should get this car for him and fix it up. It wasn't a project car like my XT6 but I got to know it a bit and have to say it was really assembled nicely. The parts I had to mess with were all well designed and fit nicely. I finished it up last month. Here are a few pictures of the finished product I took in my garage before I delivered it to him. I have to say however the engine's valves or lifters are crazy noisy. I read online that it's a common problem but whoa! I flushed the engine and changed the oil twice in an act of desperation for fear he'd think I found him something that's going to blow. The tapping really didn't improve very much. Anyway, it's a nice car. 2004 with only 104000 KM (61000 miles) and was well maintained.
Attachments
Finished - Front Rt.jpg
Finished - Cabin.jpg
Finished - Cabin - rear.jpg
Finished - rear.jpg
Giggs

Postby john in KY on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:04 pm

Nice looking Outback. May want to check the valve lash adjustment.
john in KY

Postby Giggs on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:13 pm

Thanks John but best I can figure is that sounds like a lot of work for a car thst's not mine and I'm tired of working on. But I'll pass it on to my niece's new fella. Cheers
Giggs

Postby grossgary on Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:34 pm

All rear EA82 and ER27 (XT6) disc pads are exactly the same. There is no variation or other option available.

All EA82 and ER27 rear struts are interchangeable although they differ in overall height (different mounting locations for FWD and 4WD, spring/dampening, and adjustable/nonadjustable.
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby grossgary on Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:44 pm

[quote=Griggs] have to say however the engine's valves or lifters are crazy noisy. I read online that it's a common problem but whoa! I flushed the engine and changed the oil twice in an act of desperation for fear he'd think I found him something that's going to blow. The tapping really didn't improve very much. Anyway, it's a nice car. 2004 with only 104000 KM (61000 miles) and was well maintained.[/quote]

If it lessens as the car warms up then it's just piston slap which is benign. Ignore it. Nothing you can do accept disassemble theblock and knurl the pistons of install updated pistons.

Timing tensioner should be checked. They can loose hydraulic tension and slap and sounds awfully similar to rod knock.
By age it's 7 years past due for a timing belt job.
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby Giggs on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:42 pm

Many thanks Gary always. I've come to appreciate that guys like me do things but don't know why we're doing them whereas others like you understand how things work and as a consequence, know what ought to be done and more importantly, why. I'll pass your observations on to my niece's significant other.
Giggs

Postby grossgary on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:02 pm

Well I don't know anything about other manufacturers, just Subarus. I've worked on tons of 95-05 Subarus over the years and studied and researched them to death.

Pardon the previous brake comment, working from my phone I saw a new post but it had opened to the first page and and I replied to hat. Duh.
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby Huck369 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:24 am

As for the tapping...The 2.5 has manually adjusted valve clearance, I had to do it on my wife's Impreza....wasn't too bad, just have to pull the valve covers for access.
I had put it off forever, but once I did it, it really wasn't too bad, and the car sounded SSOOOOO much better.... :)
Huck
Subaru Ambassador
88 XT6 5-Speed(Project Car)
08 Impreza 2.5I 5-Speed
92 SVX LS-Tour (Yellow AWD 5-Speed)
09 Forester X Premium
The Creator of FrankenWedge
Huck369

Postby Giggs on Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:31 am

Thanks for that Huck. I'll pass that on to him as well. For whay it's worth, he picked it up Sunday from the in laws house where it's been sitting since I finished my work on it and drove it home to Waterloo (3 hr drive). He said the car drove great and the tapping noise was almost not noticeable. So it clearly diminishes as it warms and drives. Again, thanks to all for the kind tips and advise.
Giggs

Postby grossgary on Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:49 pm

Yep sounds like classic piston slap.

Those valves get tighter over time so it's also wise to check them at least once around 10 years or so anyway so you don't end up with burnt valves (usually exhaust).

Since the valve covers often leak I just usually plan a valve cover reseal and check clearance at the same time party.
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby Giggs on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:48 pm

Tres bien. Merci monsieur.
[Very Good. Thank you Sir.]
Giggs

Previous

Return to Subaru XT discussions