XT6 tear down - activity and guidance

Forum for Subaru XT and/or XT6 owners

Moderators: Hocrest, Myxalplyx, Huck369, Moodybluesr, grossgary, john in KY, SUBBYRU89, austinXT6

Re: XT6 tear down - activity and guidance

Postby grossgary on Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:18 am

yes rear pads are the same on XT6 and XT, EA82's.
rear strut assemblies are interchangeable as well.

the one thing i usually buy from rockauto is brake pad clips and caliper boots. those are often cheap at Rockauto.

be careful buying parts on Rockauto for older/uncommon Subarus. they're listing database is odd and routinely lists the wrong parts - even after you've "drilled down" to a 6 cylinder XT6. they used to list a 4 cylinder distributor cap (4 spark plugs) for an XT6. stuff like that all the time. it seems odd to me that they show parts that don't fit after you've already selected a certain make/model/engine.

i can almost always avoid buying from rockauto now but if i do - i google the part number to verify.
they're cheap distributor caps and rotors look and feel cheap. i've had one failed new rotor or distributor (they were tore up internally, don't know which one caused it) and i think it was from Rock Auto. they do sometimes have smoking prices for brake parts and certain other items. this is true in general, not just Rock Auto - but cheap/no name pads work great, but often last less than a year. i go for better pads that will last longer.

I usually try to buy from advance auto parts online - and use a discount code. P20 is a consistent 20% off code, 30% is always available and you can almost always get $40 off $100 if you make an order. so i routinely add fluids, shop towels, that i'll always use to get to $100. by the time I do that Advance Auto is usually cheaper than rock auto, i can pick it up locally, and easier to do a return or exchange or deal with an issue, and avoid rock auto's convoluted shipping.
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby Giggs on Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:05 am

Gary, some great stuff there. And thanks for that Advance Auto discount code. I'll definately check that out. I ended up at Rock Auto because I couldn't find a full set. But I hear you. You get what you pay for. The stuff wasn't dear. So, we'll see. My tear down is getting a bit further and wider than I had planned. I had actually scheduled with a shop to deliver the car yesterday to prep it for paint but Wednesday night I decided that I should paint under the hood myself as far as I can without taking the engine out. I figured what the heck. Now's the time to do it. Never done anything like this. Wife's going to hate me. I've taken over the whole garage now. I was moving the cars around before and made sure to have her car parked inside at night so she wouldn't have to go outside to her car in the cold in the morning. Oh well, that's ended. Hope it warms up soon! I need the space. Haha. I've just been pulling things off that I pretty much have no idea what they're for. As a consequence, I got a much better look at that radiator after I pulled the cooling fans out and the front end assembly off. The radiator is no good. Can see it's wet all down the side, hence the reason for it dripping after I drained and filled. I had wondered before why not much fluid came out on the initial drain and lots came out after the fill. Anybody know where I can buy a radiator? Any body know how to check a condenser? I've disconnected the lines and will pull it off with the radiator today. Better make sure it's good before I put it back on.
Giggs

Postby Giggs on Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:16 am

Oh ya, and to get those squirters off, I never heard from anybody so I pulled the front bumper assembly off. I couldn't figure out any other way. But that was only half the problem. Getting them out wasn't easy either. There's a retaining clip behind or under the cover. It comes out easily but it's a real challenge to remove the hose without braking the squirter tube. No room to manouver. And then a b**** to pull the squirter through the cover. I took great care with the one good one I had and fortunately managed with some difficulty to get it out unharmed.
Giggs

Postby Giggs on Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:48 pm

So I'm told by some back alley guy who tests radiators thar mine is fine. Go figure. Was wet on the sides and underneath the rad support below the lower hose and leaking all over my garage. Hoses looked good except for the indentations from those ninja death grasp clamps. Thinking maybe get new hoses anyway. Also, with the front end all open and things out of the way would it make sense to change both timing belts and the serpentine belt? Car has 47000 miles but like I said, it sat for a very long time and was still sitting up until the time I got it. Change the belts?
Giggs

Postby Huck369 on Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:57 am

Giggs wrote:So I'm told by some back alley guy who tests radiators thar mine is fine. Go figure. Was wet on the sides and underneath the rad support below the lower hose and leaking all over my garage. Hoses looked good except for the indentations from those ninja death grasp clamps. Thinking maybe get new hoses anyway. Also, with the front end all open and things out of the way would it make sense to change both timing belts and the serpentine belt? Car has 47000 miles but like I said, it sat for a very long time and was still sitting up until the time I got it. Change the belts?

Yes, change the timing belts at least, it's cheap insurance, the original belts have to be getting weak/cracked by now...
Huck
Subaru Ambassador
88 XT6 5-Speed(Project Car)
08 Impreza 2.5I 5-Speed
92 SVX LS-Tour (Yellow AWD 5-Speed)
09 Forester X Premium
The Creator of FrankenWedge
Huck369

Postby Giggs on Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:59 am

cheers
Giggs

Postby Giggs on Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:48 pm

Harmonic Balancer (XT6) for sale anybody?
Giggs

Postby Giggs on Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:14 pm

Hmmm... Well I rec'd info from a good source by private message to stitch weld the balancer so I have done so. I haven't posted much as of late because I've been crazy busy. Been pulling as much off as I can without removing the engine but there is just so much... With each part comes cleaning and painting. I haven't even reached the valve covers yet! I finally, after much consternation, got that damn wiper transmission off which was necessary in order to get the cowell cover off which needs cleaning and refinishing. Idk if I broke it or what. It doesn't look right. What a pain in the a**. Owner had an Alpine alarm installed. Wires all over the place from under the driver's seat and octopusin from there. Problem I'm having is no doubt a common one. Where to draw the line under the hood. The car has been torn down to the point that it's ready for paint and it will be a body man's dream because he won't have any parts to remove and only limited taping. Interior and exterior trim, lights, liners and even handles are out. But then I got to looking at that engine compartment. It looked (and kinda still does despite my efforts) like it was from some old horror movie. Problem is that whatever I don't touch looks like hell compared to what I've refinished. Meh... It's a learning experience. I remain determined to get this car back on the road with a look that I can be proud of and do justice to the preservation of the car as it was designed and intended. I'd like to upload pictures but like I mentioned before, my efforts to do so have been uneventful. I still don't know why. Wondering if it's a cell phone problem because I've tried to upload from my phone. Anyway, until next time...
Giggs

Postby crazyhorse_001 on Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:20 am

Try uploading to a photo site like photobucket. Then you can "hotlink" to your pics. Then you have the added bonus of having them backed up forever on the web
Nought but by the grace of God
Don't run out of talent, grip, and road all at the same time
'88 XT GL FWD/5spd, Gunmetal Grey "Little Bit"
'91 XT6 FWD/4eat, Silver, lost the battle with the the rust monster
crazyhorse_001
Veteran

Postby Giggs on Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:24 pm

Okay. Never used it before. I'm going to first try to upload from my desktop. If that doest work I'll try the photo bucket. My revised goal (as of last week) was to deliver the car to the body shop by this Friday. Might be a tall order. Worst case scenario it's going out by next Monday. Finished changing both timing belts tonight. Also cleaned, painted and reinstalled my valve covers.
Giggs

Postby Giggs on Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:35 pm

Tomorrow was supposed to be delviery day. A day I had been been looking forward to as I worked diligently to ready the car for the body shop. YE the date was revised but this one I was ready for. You'll recall that I had removed the lights and trim from the exterior (and of course the interior door/windsor modling to ready the car for paint) but then decided that the hautend engine compartment was in need of some serious attention. Well, in anticipation of delivery I met with George to discuss. Regrettably, I was informed that he had six insurance jobs in the cue. Meaing, my cheap a** going rate job will have to wait until George is done making some real money. Meh.... Never the one to miss an opportnity, I've decided that I shall now tear out the interior. For now, find (hoperully. I have not had luck uploadingt thus far) a few picture of what I have been up to...
Attachments
Engine.jpg
engine bay painted.jpg
parts under the hood.jpg
Engine and front end - Almost done.jpg
Giggs

Postby grossgary on Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:52 am

well that cleaned right up!
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby Giggs on Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:01 am

Ya. I'm pretty happy. Still worried though about the radiator leaking. I sure hope that guy was right who tested it and said it was fine. Haven't filled it yet or started the car. Actually, I should probably also be worried about whether it'll start :? . I might find time to work on it a bit again tomorrow and see if I'll have any success then.
Giggs

Postby Huck369 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:33 am

Looking Great!!!
Can't wait to see the finished project!
Huck
Subaru Ambassador
88 XT6 5-Speed(Project Car)
08 Impreza 2.5I 5-Speed
92 SVX LS-Tour (Yellow AWD 5-Speed)
09 Forester X Premium
The Creator of FrankenWedge
Huck369

Postby Giggs on Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:31 am

Thanks. For what it's worth I've now typed two long messages from my cell phone this past week and both vanished. The most recent one just five minutes ago. Each time I lost it as I was trying to post it. I have trouble navigating from my cell phone for some reason. Anyway, I'll try and post an update tomorrow from my pc. Thanks for checking in.
Giggs

PreviousNext

Return to Subaru XT discussions