Alternative powered XT /6's collection

Forum for Subaru XT and/or XT6 owners

Moderators: Hocrest, Myxalplyx, Huck369, Moodybluesr, grossgary, john in KY, SUBBYRU89, austinXT6

Alternative powered XT /6's collection

Postby Fury on Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:10 pm

This is a thread to document all "re powered" XT6's and XT's
A repower is not intended only for performance, but reliability as well.
This thread is intended for engine repowers, not transmissions and associated other equipment. Perhaps similar threads for other things could be appropriate if this works well.

The suggestion is to document , in one place, all engine re power modifications - Listing clearly :
(Template to copy and paste - highlight area to copy, keys ctrl + C to copy, then ctrl + V to paste)

Owner / Forum username :

XT6 or XT :
Engine type and size / capacity :
Engine year :
Original car it was from :
Engine modifications :
ECU :
Drivetrain and ratios :
Installation difficulties :
Performance specs and dyno results if applicable:
Legalities for registration purposes :
Pros :
Cons :
Links to your installation threads :
Pics of installation :

Written in a format so that not only for the benefit of the reader ( for entertainment and relaxation ) but as a jump of point to do future modifications.

We all read from time to time, how people want to do modifications by re powering their XTs and we get a number of similar threads, most with a lot of really great info being duplicated. In a thread like this, is in my opinion, a great place to start. If a thread pops up, we can post a link to here.

Posters... If your info is incomplete, or no pics etc, a new posting such as "edited info", or "new updated info or pics added" could be appropriate and this post deleted after a few days or so - just letting people know , but not intended as a perminant reference to the edit.

Perhaps moderators can reposition postings , so similar engines are grouped together, or 6's and XT's
also, perhaps the removal of posts such as "awsome car" and "un necessary posts" after a suitable period ( perhaps on a previous page) so people can still comment, but after a while, as they just take up space, could be deleted (no malice to the poster and no offense etc) but would make searching and reading easier for a person looking to "re power"

I have been messaged many times regarding conversion details, and I am quite happy to answer questions etc, as I am sure other owners of such converted vehicles are also happy to do. However, I would also like to add that if you are considering modding your XT / 6 , repowering to a "different from original" power plant, that it is not an easy thing to do and takes time, experience and money, to make it successful. Regardless of the success stories you will see below, all the modifications are real achievements of the highest standard, that have overcome sometimes enormous obsticles and difficulties that would make a lot of qualified mechanics turn in their graves. I personally know what you have been through and salute you for your expertise, your patience and endurance. I guess what I am saying is that when considering such a conversion, if you havent done this sort of thing before, you will need help.
Pulling out the old engine and placing the new into the engine bay, is the easiest part of a precision procedure., getting it all connected up and running like it was from factory is the real trick and not something to be entered into lightly.

If you have contributing thoughts to this thread, please feel free to jump in.

Next:
Calling all RE-POWERED XT / 6 owners,

Time to Step up to the plate:
Last edited by Fury on Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:41 am, edited 6 times in total.
Chris'88 WR XT AX7 Turbo 4WD, 5 speed,
Full EJ20T WRX Running gear,
Full 3" exhaust. Jap spec ECU, TMIC,
Gen III GT brakes + Eibach coilovers 5 lug swap & kit(http://www.crossbredperformance.com) with 17"STI rims... and other great stuff
Fury
Guru

Re: Alternative powered XT /6's collection

Postby Fury on Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:27 pm

Owner / Forum username : Fury, Chris Leyland

XT6 or XT : XT 1988 build Nov 87
Engine size / capacity : EJ20T
Engine year : 1996
Original car : it was from WRX STI
Engine modifications : TDO5 Turbo, older style "twisted" TMIC
ECU : Standard Subaru ECU from that engine, but was a Jap import, so it is a Jap spec
Drivetrain and ratios : 5 speed EJ tranny, 2400lb Excedy ceramic clutch ( with hydraulic activation), 4.111 AWD
Installation difficulties : lol, to be edited when I have time
Performance specs and dyno results if applicable : 204Kw ( dyno) 274 Hp
Legalities for registration purposes : street legal ( 12 -1/2% capacity diference. falls within 15% engine displacement for NSW / Aus road regs from original)
Pros : It's reliable and fast... very fast
Cons : once completed, none. really pleased with the final result, but lots of tinkering with stuff to work really well.
Alter this, shorten that, move this, install this extra. re adjust etc during install, thats all.
Links to your installation threads : comming when I have time to find
Pics of installation :

Original installation just after the first test drive.

Looks a bit better than this now - well sorta..
Last edited by Fury on Sun May 09, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gen III GT brakes + Eibach coilovers 5 lug swap & kit(http://www.crossbredperformance.com) with 17"STI rims... and other great stuff
Fury
Guru

Postby Huck369 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:17 am

Owner / Huck369

XT6
Engine type and size / capacity : EG33 Flat Six
Engine year :1995
Original car it was from : SVX
Engine modifications :Hi-flow Air Filter, Exhaust
ECU : Stock SVX
Drivetrain and ratios :5-Speed (EJ Series) 3.90, Excedy Clutch
Performance specs and dyno results if applicable:I only GTeched it once back when I first got it running, and it showed 184 WHP...I need to do another run
Pros :Really cool :) less weight than a WRX, and more stock HP/Torque
Cons :Makes the XT6 a little more front end heavy, and causes it to push more in the corners
Links to your installation threads : FrankenWedge Write-Up
Pics of installation :
Huck
Subaru Ambassador
88 XT6 5-Speed(Project Car)
08 Outback Wagon
92 SVX LS-Tour (Yellow AWD 5-Speed)
09 Forester X Premium
The Creator of FrankenWedge
Huck369

Postby kingbobdole on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:38 am

Owner / Forum username : Phil, The Kingbobdole

XT6 or XT : 1989 XT-6 AX-7 FWD
Engine type and size / capacity : EZ30D 3.0 liter
Engine year : 2003
Original car it was from : VDC Legacy outback
Engine modifications : Intake? Ghetto cooling system. High flow exhaust. Replaced valve cover gaskets and spark plugs.
ECU : Stock legacy
Drivetrain and ratios : 04-05 STi 6 speed. Super racelight ACT flywheel with stock STi clutch

Installation difficulties : Wiring was huge, It takes me, Mr. wire, about 6 hours to get an OBD1 EJ harness together and running from a "full car harness". This thing took me OVER 20 hours of work. VERY complex and I even left some stuff off of it. Since my car was front wheel drive, I had to locate an AWD transmission mount... Lastly... someone moved/pilfered/I lost/rocket started the car while it was on top'd one of my FSMs while doing the build... Never found it. :( Also, the throttle cable and cooling system were interesting.. ohh and since it has an auto belt tensioner, that took some doing as well. The first time I started it, the flywheel touched the engine crossmember when I accelerated... Itmadeallotasparks :lol: The stock header really won't fit at all...

200 WHP 215 Ft/Lbs WTQ

Legalities for registration purposes : Cats? I don't even need those... I live in a no test area. Car is OBD2 compliant. :wink:

Pros : THROTTLE RESPONSE! It's like my right foot is attached to a giant french war machine of old and dropping the hammer launches me all the way to Britain. It would tear the old bald tires off it in most gears... while rolling... at speed... ask Austin. Relatedly you can scare children with the size of the throttle body. It's a new engine, most of the seals are not worn out yet. Parts available... since it's a current gen engine... there are also some plug and play managements for it. Easy fit, lots of extra under hood room. It's a new engine, mine had 75k on it when I installed it and now has just over 85k... no where near time for heavy maintenance. New engines have OBD2 which is nice for troubleshooting. Fairly light weight as well. Timing chain instead of belt, according to some they take a long ass time to wear out. Gets about the same MPG as the old motor did, but with lots more hooning. Did I mention it's new and reliable? Unlearned people look at it and go "That's the XT motor?.... looks just like the Legacy motor!' :lol:

Cons : Dude! She takes PREMIUM!! Still a fairly pricey swap even now. I was thinking about doing the EG33 like Huck, and was even offered an engine and wiring for $250... I still ended up on the more expensive road. Also, it's got that stupid dual upper radiator thingy. Damn motor mounts are EXPENSIVE!

Links to your installation threads : DEUS EX MACHINA

Pics of installation :
Last edited by kingbobdole on Thu May 19, 2016 10:24 pm, edited 12 times in total.
~Phil
EZ Cheeze
FWD magic SVX
Fe Coupe
Rust in the shape of a BRAT
Alfa Romeo GTV
Motorless Impreza sport
TURBO! bike
Da Rune

SubaruJawn wrote:Does yellow really do that ?

subeman90 wrote:LeBaron.

austinXT6 wrote: It's a little doo-dad that sticks up an inch or so
kingbobdole
Cheesy monarch

Postby ironhydroxide on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:53 am

Owner / Forum username : Rusty Horlacher / Ironhydroxide

XT6 or XT : XT6
Engine type and size / capacity : 3300cc EG33
Engine year : '92
Original car it was from : '92 SVX
Engine modifications : Hi-Flow air filter, (soon to fab stock looking air box)
ECU : Stock SVX ECU (desired addition ECUTune Stage 1)
Drivetrain and ratios : Legacy '92 5SPD Gearset and Main Case. '89 XT6 Transfer case and Front differential input Shaft. 2 Sided Ceramic Clutch Disk
Installation difficulties : Spacing between "radiator" and crank pully, Solved by relocating radiator to trunk (also helps weight distribution). Hood Clearance, Solved by adding 3/8' spacers between Unibody and Subframe.
Performance specs and dyno results if applicable: STOCK 230hp
Legalities for registration purposes : Not worried, though not registered At the Moment.
Pros :TORQUE, power, and just a general addition of COOLNESS
Cons : Weight distribution. Electrical fabbing.
Links to your installation threads : Not sure i actually had one, (will post link when i get around to making one)
Pics of installation :
Last edited by ironhydroxide on Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If the tires don't scream, You aint goin' fast enough!!

my baby SVXT6 pearly

xt6 5spd red Parts car

Honda FT500 Ascott Motorcycle Red
ironhydroxide
Veteran

Postby lazer on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:14 pm

Owner / Forum username : Lazer

XT6 or XT : XT turbo
Engine type and size / capacity : EJ20G
Engine year :1992
Original car it was from : Legacy turbo wagon
Engine modifications : 740cc injectors, bosch coils, vf34 turbo, 3" catless downpipe, front mount intercooler
ECU : Autronic smc4
Drivetrain and ratios : Forester TurboS 5mt transmission 4,44
Installation difficulties : A lot of issues. Had the coil Igniter fail on me, when trying to start it. tinkered it for a month before I found out that it was fried (I had spark but It would not spark at the right sequence) After 2 years or so the timing belt jumped a tooth messing with the cam positioning sensor.
Performance specs and dyno results if applicable: G-teched at 311hp
Legalities for registration purposes : Not possible to legalize.
Pros :Very fast indeed
Cons : Suspension needs a ton of work to make the car corner better. Needs heavy body reinforcement.
Links to your installation threads :
Pics of installation :

Old picture (before vf34 turbo and power steering :)
Attachments
DSCN0863small.jpg
Last edited by lazer on Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
------------------------
1992 Subaru svx lsi
------------------------
1985 xt turbo 4wd
------------------------
lazer
Post-itute

Postby Fury on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:09 pm

Rusty, Have you got a thread to your rear mount radiator? if not, MAKE one and post the link in your above post.. I think modifications - particularly associated to repowers would be good from this thread.

This post should self destruct in a few days... :lol:
Fury
Guru

Postby Bram_R on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:55 pm

Owner / Forum username : Bram_r

XT6 or XT : 1986 XT turbo
Engine type and size / capacity : EJ20G (fcd)
Engine year : 1992
Original car it was from : Legacy turbo wagon
Engine modifications : WRX coils, Walbro 255l/hr fuel pump, NGK PFR7B spark plugs, chip from Torquechip for the ECU, 2,5" exhaust (open downpipe, no cat, only rear muffler).
ECU : stock
Drivetrain and ratios : stock Legacy turbo tranny and VLSD rear diff (final drive ratio 3.9:1)
Installation difficulties : tried to do a factory stock look as much as possible, costing a lot of time. Also having the Legacy AWIC in there. Lots of fiddling with space and trying to install everything as neat as possible.
Performance specs and dyno results if applicable : bench mark with chip and 2,5" exhaust should be 280hp
Legalities for registration purposes : fully legal, got new registration with engine displacement 2.0liter now.
Pros : Like the project and the final result
Cons : Not heavily tested so far
Links to your installation threads : http://subaruxt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8493&hilit=ej20G
Pics of installation : plenty in that topic
Bram_R
Guru

Postby Jeffast on Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:48 am

well since i finally brought my car out i guess i better post here.

Owner / Forum username : jeff freedman/ Jeffast

XT6 or XT : xt6 91
Engine type and size / capacity :eg33 3.3 liter flat 6
Engine year :1992
Original car it was from : 1992 subaru california emission svx
Engine modifications : stock
ECU : stock SVX
Drivetrain and ratios : 4.11 5speed
Installation difficulties : yes
Legalities for registration purposes : completely legal
Pros : fast, reliable
Cons : fuel mileage, car is more front heavy
Links to your installation threads :n/a
Pics of installation :n/a
in between failures
shawnw wrote: Jesus Christ Jeff this is why you cant have nice things

91 xt6 just enough eg33
99 mazda miata
this statement might have lent more authenticity if you had pants on
subeman90 wrote:I always cry after sex.
Jeffast
Post-itute

Postby racevortex87 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:08 pm

Owner / Forum username : Racevortex87 - Grant

XT6 or XT : 1987 xt fwd non turbo with 87.5 front bumper and turbo bonnet
Engine type and size / capacity : EJ20 T
Engine year : 1995
Original car it was from : jdm wrx wagon
Engine modifications : front mount intercooler, 3 inch dump and straight threw exhaust catless, pod filter, power steering cooler.
ECU : Jdm sedan ecu with chip
Drivetrain and ratios : 5speed with locked center dif, rear wheel drive only with 4.11 lsd ratio fitted and also 3.545 lsd option
Installation difficulties : fitting rear dif hanger and tailshaft mounts as it was fwd, gearbox crossmember mix of xt,wrx and custom rear plate, front radiator bottom rail refabed to fit wrx radiator, modified front control arms to fit wrx ball joint sleeve for hub upgrade.
Performance specs and dyno results if applicable: 147kw at the rear wheels with current ecu with td04 turbo, will be changed to td05 shortly
Legalities for registration purposes : non registrable / race only with 6 point weld in cage,
Pros : fast, loud and gets a bit of attention and good when you smash a rexy on the track
Cons : cant drive it on the street
Links to your installation threads : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12263&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=race+vortex+race+vortex+build
Pics of installation : see thread
Attachments
1.jpg
racevortex87

Postby alex-svx on Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:57 am

Huck369 wrote:Owner / Huck369

XT6
Performance specs and dyno results if applicable:I only GTeched it once back when I first got it running, and it showed 184 WHP...I need to do another run
Cons :Makes the XT6 a little more front end heavy, and causes it to push more in the corners
Pics of installation :

So cool. :D what is the weight on the XT whit the eg33 in it?
88 XT 1.8Turbo 5Mt
92 Subaru svx 5MT Yellow
92 Legacy turbo
alex-svx

Postby Huck369 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:50 pm

alex-svx wrote:
Huck369 wrote:Owner / Huck369

XT6
Pics of installation :

So cool. :D what is the weight on the XT whit the eg33 in it?

Never weighed it, but guessed it to be about 2,900 pound.....about the same as a Stock XT6....but all the AC stuff, and Air Suspension stuff was gutted
Huck
Subaru Ambassador
88 XT6 5-Speed(Project Car)
08 Outback Wagon
92 SVX LS-Tour (Yellow AWD 5-Speed)
09 Forester X Premium
The Creator of FrankenWedge
Huck369

Return to Subaru XT discussions