Replacing the Air suspension!

Forum for Subaru XT and/or XT6 owners

Moderators: Hocrest, Myxalplyx, Huck369, Moodybluesr, grossgary, john in KY, SUBBYRU89, austinXT6

Re: Forester front struts to tall!

Postby vansubaru on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:10 pm

OK so i got some front struts from a 99 Forester, gor them on and have a rediculous height like 15 inches but everything is maxed out, even turning the the steering wheel with no load is to tight. So i belive that the Forester struts won't work for me. Anyone currently running them? So i will be sending them back to get some Impreza struts.

Everything else is going well, i ordered new calipers, rotors and pads from a shop on ebay in California i little expensive but in the long run worth it. Rebbooted the rear inner cv axles, we figured that with the constant bottoming out of the air suspension that it ripped the boots, also got what i need for a tune up. Anyone ever tryed a product Dirko for resealing the cam seals on the outside? I will post some pics soon.

S
05 Outback Sedan 3.0R
96 Legacy L wagon 2.2
88 XT6 Auto Full time 4WD
87.5 XT GL 5SPD 4WD RX front shocks 2WD wagon rear shocks ( rusted away in Toronto)
vansubaru

Re: Replacing the Air suspension!

Postby neuzboy on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:52 pm

I went with some Outback Struts in the front. Once they loaded up and got an alignment, it seemed to work pretty good. Decided to leave a little bit of negative camber to keep the CVs from excessive binding. Then used GL struts in the back with a 2" lift to even it out. Now running on 27" BFG A/T stock rims.
Jesus Saves: simple as that

91 XT6 "Stix" Black / Coilover conversion / 2 inch rear lift / Outback front struts / BFG AT 195/75/14
95 SVX Green - another lift project in the works
84 GL Wagon - Armageddon Car
(RIP 82 Brat)
neuzboy

Postby Myxalplyx on Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:27 pm

neuzboy wrote:I went with some Outback Struts in the front. Once they loaded up and got an alignment, it seemed to work pretty good. Decided to leave a little bit of negative camber to keep the CVs from excessive binding. Then used GL struts in the back with a 2" lift to even it out. Now running on 27" BFG A/T stock rims.

Glad you like it! What about the air compressor? Did you leave it still installed on your car or remove it? Do you get a permanent check engine/suspension light from the air suspension being removed?

I have conversion parts to go in but I never got them installed. They are still in the basement.
Kevin Thomas
1989 2.7ltr XT6 AWD/Auto *WndCttr*
JC Sports Intake, Rallispec Header, Custom 2.5" exhaust with 2.5" Magnaflow muffler
Advanced Timing 32 degrees
ProECM Lightweight pulley
4.44 gears, LSD
Myxalplyx

Postby austinXT6 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:11 pm

I've got the opposite project that I want to do (and will likely end up putting off like so many others :roll: :oops:): My XT6 is converted and I want to convert it back. I got some air struts, and the guy who sold me the car 3 years ago said the compressor is still good, so I want to get my air ride on!

I'm just not sure if the compressor's really good or not. I want to hook up a strut and see if it inflates but I guess i need to know what's involved. I don't need to actually install it to verify if my system works, but I need to know what to hook up. So one of these days I need to get out there with my FSM and have at it.

(of course that's at the end of a VERY long list of repairs I need to make and an SVX I really want to get running - my laziness is usually the biggest impediment)
austinXT6
Site Admin

Postby Huck369 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:37 pm

austinXT6 wrote:I've got the opposite project that I want to do (and will likely end up putting off like so many others :roll: :oops:): My XT6 is converted and I want to convert it back. I got some air struts, and the guy who sold me the car 3 years ago said the compressor is still good, so I want to get my air ride on!

I'm just not sure if the compressor's really good or not. I want to hook up a strut and see if it inflates but I guess i need to know what's involved. I don't need to actually install it to verify if my system works, but I need to know what to hook up. So one of these days I need to get out there with my FSM and have at it.

(of course that's at the end of a VERY long list of repairs I need to make and an SVX I really want to get running - my laziness is usually the biggest impediment)

Make sure the air lines are all still there...chances are they have been removed.....possibly cut.... :shock:
Huck
Subaru Ambassador
88 XT6 5-Speed(Project Car)
08 Outback Wagon
92 SVX LS-Tour (Yellow AWD 5-Speed)
09 Forester X Premium
The Creator of FrankenWedge
Huck369

Postby grossgary on Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:45 pm

down next to the battery are where the captive nuts pass through for the compressor/airtank you can look there to verify a bolt is there holding something in place. or just peak under the fender well liner.

power the compressor and see if it kicks on. they can run but not output enough air too...or the fittings can crack (one of the 5 white connectors for the airlines) and leak.

i want to do the same thing - reinstall the air struts in mine as well. the airlines in the engine bay are all missing....not sure what else is but i need to check.
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby crazyhorse_001 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:28 am

If your air lines are missing, all is not lost. They are a standard air shock line. Yes, the old school '70's hi-jackers stuff lol
Nought but by the grace of God
Don't run out of talent, grip, and road all at the same time
'88 XT GL FWD/5spd, Gunmetal Grey "Little Bit"
'91 XT6 FWD/4eat, Silver, lost the battle with the the rust monster
crazyhorse_001
Veteran

Postby Drew on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:40 pm

Would love to know the step (easy layman terms) to check if my compressor is burned out by forcing it on somehow...
Drew

Previous

Return to Subaru XT discussions