Rear diff repaint

Forum for Subaru XT and/or XT6 owners

Moderators: Hocrest, Myxalplyx, Huck369, Moodybluesr, grossgary, john in KY, SUBBYRU89, austinXT6

Rear diff repaint

Postby Bram_R on Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:15 pm

As I'm slowly restorating the underside of my XT, it's also a good time to put some effort in the rear diff.
As subframes will be sandblasted/powdercoated, can't leave that rusty diff in there.

Differential is a Legacy Turbo LSD unit. 3,545:1 ratio I believe.

After hammering some loose rust of the diff body and cleaning it in a parts washer, here's how it looks:
IMG_8722 (Small).JPG

IMG_8727 (Small).JPG

Not sure yet if I'm going to have the complete diff painted in black, or that I will restore it, so that the aluminum castings stay aluminum.

Haven't disassembled such a rear diff before, if anyone has, any pointers are welcome.

- after draining the oil, can I just remove the rear and the two side aluminum covers?
- if so than I will opt for removing these covers and let the diff be painted and assembly the cleaned covers afterwards.

gr. Bram
Sorrow Six Star wrote:Bram has what we call an "insane build" don't let that scare you off.

// Project EJ-XT http://www.subaruxt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8493&start=0 //
// 5-lug swap by http://www.crossbreadperformance.com //
Bram_R
Guru

Re: Rear diff repaint

Postby grossgary on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:19 pm

Yep remove rear cover and side axle retainers.
The stubby shafts take an odd size I believe to remove.
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby Bram_R on Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:38 pm

The stubby shafts take an odd size I believe to remove.

After derusting some more with wire brush and this Rustyco stuff, things are starting to look better already.
IMG_8763 (Small).JPG

The workshop manual calls for some special tooling to remove those stub-shafts. After that those side covers can be removed.
I have to take a look at the diff to see what this special tooling does, as the manual does not list any details on it.

I may just mask those rear and side covers and have it painted as an complete assembly.
Might be easier when compared to complete teardown removing rear and side covers and taking out the carrier.

gr. Bram
Sorrow Six Star wrote:Bram has what we call an "insane build" don't let that scare you off.

// Project EJ-XT http://www.subaruxt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8493&start=0 //
Bram_R
Guru

Postby crazyhorse_001 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:06 am

If you remove the side covers, you WILL have to set the gear lash. Probably best to just mask them.
Nought but by the grace of God
Don't run out of talent, grip, and road all at the same time
'88 XT GL FWD/5spd, Gunmetal Grey "Little Bit"
'91 XT6 FWD/4eat, Silver, lost the battle with the the rust monster
crazyhorse_001
Veteran

Postby Huck369 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:24 am

crazyhorse_001 wrote:If you remove the side covers, you WILL have to set the gear lash. Probably best to just mask them.

My thoughts exactly.....

Clean the cover and side plates before you paint it....
Huck
Subaru Ambassador
88 XT6 5-Speed(Project Car)
08 Impreza 2.5I 5-Speed
92 SVX LS-Tour (Yellow AWD 5-Speed)
09 Forester X Premium
The Creator of FrankenWedge
Huck369

Postby Bram_R on Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:54 pm

Thanks guys, I guess that's what I'm going to do.

Will do some reading in getting those alu covers a bit shiny again (not too much, just clean them up).

gr. Bram

Bram_R
Guru

Postby grossgary on Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:38 pm

crazyhorse_001 wrote:If you remove the side covers, you WILL have to set the gear lash. Probably best to just mask them.
i wouldn’t just for painting but side seals wouldn’t be changing the clearances.

But then I’m not sure if he’s be wanting to also remove the pinion shaft entirely? Ive never gone that far.

But for the side retainers...
Side retainers, shims and ring and pinion set the clearances. As long as they’re not changed and installed where they were when disassembled then clearance is retained and you’re good to go n

Thats what happens with a side seal replacement or diff chunk swap which are commonly done - since you’re only swapping the seals or chunk and not the ring and pinion or side retainers or shims, which set the clearance, the clearance doesn’t change and there’s no adjustment needed.

I’ve done a few and they’re really easy. I’ve had the one apart in Huck’s car.
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Postby crazyhorse_001 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:04 pm

For cleaning aluminum, i use a plastic wire wheel, and simple green degreaser. After that your favorite polish.
Nought but by the grace of God
Don't run out of talent, grip, and road all at the same time
'88 XT GL FWD/5spd, Gunmetal Grey "Little Bit"
'91 XT6 FWD/4eat, Silver, lost the battle with the the rust monster
crazyhorse_001
Veteran

Postby Bram_R on Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:07 am

grossgary wrote:
i wouldn’t just for painting but side seals wouldn’t be changing the clearances.

But then I’m not sure if he’s be wanting to also remove the pinion shaft entirely? Ive never gone that far.

But for the side retainers...
Side retainers, shims and ring and pinion set the clearances. As long as they’re not changed and installed where they were when disassembled then clearance is retained and you’re good to go n

Thats what happens with a side seal replacement or diff chunk swap which are commonly done - since you’re only swapping the seals or chunk and not the ring and pinion or side retainers or shims, which set the clearance, the clearance doesn’t change and there’s no adjustment needed.

I’ve done a few and they’re really easy. I’ve had the one apart in Huck’s car.

Thanks Gary,

Do you have any info how to remove the stubshafts from the gearbox?
The manual isn't to clear about this.

I may want to pull the covers one by one for easy cleaning, but also just interested how it works :)

gr. Bram

Bram_R
Guru

Postby grossgary on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:46 pm

You mean the stub shafts for a stock rear diff right?

This is from memory so don’t hold me to it.
The stubby shaft is hollow right, you can peer down its axis? Look down there and there’s a fastener to remove. It’s like an E10 Torx fastener. Remove that bolt and they come off.
Gary
89 XT6, rear LSD
02 OBW VDC H6
06 Tribeca
grossgary

Return to Subaru XT discussions